The Transformer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGL

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below is a truly custom Trike I built from scratch that I call "The Transformer". It transforms from single saddle to> dual saddle with a 7 speed Pedal to> Dual Electric Motors to> a Honda 5.5 hp gas engine. It takes about 20 minutes to make any transformation from one to the other. The rear end uses a differential with dual custom axle's so both rear wheels and hubs are drivers. Its VERY Easy to pedal, even with somebody on the rear seat while crusin the boardwalk, (level ground). It uses mechanical disc brakes all around that will stop on a dime and has working break lights. I designed the frame, rear end, break knuckles and forks using AutoCad. The upper fork springer spring and bracket I just purchased and had it re-chromed to keep that 50's style goi'n.
I tried to keep the 50's style thru-out the whole trike including the Frame, Pick-up truck bed/engine housing and the electric motor enclosure. I made 6 custom handle bars and they all looked like crap on this trike so, again, I purchase a pair from the local bike shop, 50's style of course, and had them re-chromed. I made the peaked seat guards from 1/4" stainless steel rod. I still have access to all the machines from my old shop, press break, tube roller, laser, water jet etc., and this made fabrication fairly easy and fast. I first made a bicycle using the identical frame, forks and handle bars sporting an 8 speed hub, but with all the stop and go at the Mission Beach Board Walk and my age considered, I decided to make a Trike that I can just sit on with-out falling over and with all the amenities allowed for any riding situation. There are NO welds showing anywhere and NO Bondo used to fill the welds. All undercuts and pinholes were filled with bronze then ground and sanded to a smooth finish ready for paint.

FrameTubesRawpartsTEXTf.jpg

FittinguptheFrameTEXTf.jpg

FittingupFRAMETEXTf.jpg

FrontProfileF.jpg

ElectMotorInstallTEXTf-1.jpg

TransformedwithMotorHousingTEXTf.jpg

TrikewithPickupBedRearProfileF.jpg

MountingEngineinTruckBedw-Text.jpg

TrikeWithGasorElectMotorInstalledTEXTf.jpg

LowRearViewF.jpg

Latest posts

Back