The Unnamed Feeling......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... well, last I checked, this site is dedicated to rat rods and the various customizings that go on in the bike sub-culture :? :? :? Cut IT! CUT IT! but then again, I"m sure there are sites dedicated just for restorations... :roll: ....Oh wait!!! this is a "anything goes build off" :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Rat Rod said:
Nuclear_air_raid_drills.jpg

HAH!

Not much to talk about.....spent several evenings tearing down a few bikes and cutting them up for tubing. Also going through parts to see what I was gonna use. My hats off to you guys that cut them up and build them from scratch. Takes a lot of time.....fun though!

Cut the back off the bike from the behind the seat tube . Figured I'd get the back together first and then start on the front. I'll get a few new pictures up tomorrow :mrgreen:

And one of those bikes was for ME! :D Thank you very much......This is a good guy, he cut me up the right size (diameter) tubing for my build, NO charge.

Well....I haven't made near as much progress as I had hoped, but this will probably be the basic shape of the rear. Ended up stretching the rear 6 inches. I didn't really want straight chain stays but the guard I'm using is straight on the top. To look right to me it really needed some lines to share. Seems sometimes the parts you use kind of dictate the direction. I also added reverse facing dropouts to clean up the rear.

I'll finish the other side tomorrow and at least get it tacked welded up. I'd like to throw some rims back on and get some ideas for the rake of the front while keeping the tank in mind. Shouldn't be anything radical though.

Well.......I'm disappointed, but not discouraged....Yet! I hate my first mock up on the rear but thought I'd show it anyways. The chain stays are too straight, /the bike sits too high and I don't like the distance between the tire and the hoop above it on the seat stays.

Gonna cut the tack welds off, put in some curved chain stays and bring that rear hoop down a little closer. May even shorten the 6" stretch to 4" or so. Still having fun though :mrgreen:

That's really starting to look good, I like the little dropout gusset idea, that should look tight and add a bit of strength. What color are you thinking of?

Late T

Thanks! It's going to be black with black rims and a few subtle yellow highlights.

wha t about cutting about 4" out of the top of the new rear, bending up the bottom chainstays, and removing the piece between the rear "hoop" and the seatpost?? I like it so far!!!

Latest posts

Back