This Bugs Me.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'm not a grammar Nazi, but some things just bug me when I see or hear it used wrong.

This was in a CL ad that I recently viewed:
Here is a nice Schwinn sting ray repo offered several years ago in Black.

I see the term 'REPO' used all over the place when describing something that is a reproduction. This is the definition:
n. re·po Informal
1. Repossession of merchandise or property from a buyer who has defaulted on payment.
2. Repossessed merchandise or property.

So I'm thinking he has either repossessed the bike or he meant to use the word 'REPRO'! Here's that definition:

n. re·pro Informal
1. A reproduction proof.
2. A copy or duplicate; a reproduction.

To further muddy the water, the word 'REPOP' is also very widely used. Here's the definition for repop:

Word not found in the Dictionary and Encyclopedia.

Who knows where that one came from.:crazy2:

Am I alone here?

Last edited:
Repop is likely to become the official slang/abbreviated term, due to common usage. "Repro" is correct, but "repop" has basically eclipsed it.

Repo? That's a typo, I think. Kind of like "Natzi".:crazy:

I have often wondered myself how they got "repop" out of "reproduction." :happy:

I always thought repop was kind of a Texan or southern slang word. I personally have never associated repop with repro or reproduction. Always thought of it as a unique word and one that I have used so long, I don't think about its etymology or how I learned it in the first place. Some words you just use and never think about how they came to be used in the common vernacular.

I always thought repop was kind of a Texan or southern slang word. I personally have never associated repop with repro or reproduction. Always thought of it as a unique word and one that I have used so long, I don't think about its etymology or how I learned it in the first place. Some words you just use and never think about how they came to be used in the common vernacular.
So, if you don't associate it with reproductions, how do you use the term? What does it mean, to you?

I always thought of a "repop" as re-populated, or a reproduced item. It is used here commonly.

Repop is likely to become the official slang/abbreviated term, due to common usage. "Repro" is correct, but "repop" has basically eclipsed it.

Repo? That's a typo, I think. Kind of like "Natzi".:crazy:
I'm glad someone else caught that. As far as the repop thing, I never hear it in my area. I've only seen it on the net and don't use it myself.

Repop sounds cool. Repro, repo... Meh, close enough.

It's when adult native English speakers mix up there, they're, their, its, it's, then, than, you're and your that frustrates me. What's worse is when I see someone on YouTube say, "Your stupid." <--- That's my biggest pet peeve by far. It hurts just looking at it.

Thank you to the person who explained "re-popularized". Now the term repop doesn't bother me so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back