Threading a hub to accept a disk brake adapter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve got this bike I’m stripping for parts and I have these thread on freewheel adapters for disk brakes there looks to be plenty of meat on the hubs. Is it possible to thread it to accept the adapter? What would be the threading? I’ve attached pictures in case I didn’t explain it well.

Attachments

• 46694556-5490-4460-9AC3-4BDD21EE770E.jpeg
    46694556-5490-4460-9AC3-4BDD21EE770E.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 31E1A8EC-FD09-45FC-9586-DFB29818954B.jpeg
    31E1A8EC-FD09-45FC-9586-DFB29818954B.jpeg
    206.8 KB · Views: 119
If was to disassemble it I may as well get new hubs. Just wondering if there was a hack I didn’t know about
Exactly...unless you are a machinist with a bunch of free time on your hands...you are better off buying a hub.

That being said, I'm sure someone out there has kludged something together by dremeling out the adapter and jb welding it to the hub. But, that is going to be tough to pull off as if it isn't square, it will rub on the pads...then you just have a draggy hub, and that's no fun.

If you have to pay for it...A will probably be cheaper as it can be done on a manual lathe :thumbsup: .
Yeah but if I absolutely HAD to do it and not just buy a hub, I'd want it done "more gooder" :21:

I wondered the same thing with an extra hub I had. I ended up buying a hub that was threaded on both sides (other side for a freewheel for converting a cruiser to 6 speed). FWIW, whatever a freewheel's thread is, it's the same as those adapters.

I covered JB Weld a few posts above :bigsmile:

That being said, I'm sure someone out there has kludged something together by dremeling out the adapter and jb welding it to the hub. But, that is going to be tough to pull off as if it isn't square, it will rub on the pads...then you just have a draggy hub, and that's no fun.

Latest posts

Back