Thrown together: My first build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, pretty new to the forum so I thought I'd share a little bit about my first build. I've been into mopeds for a while, and I love antique things, so that led me into the fascination of pre-20's motorcycles. And, since many of you know that they are EXPENSIVE! I thought, why not just try and build one? Well it seems like many people think the same way about motored bikes, and it seems like a good idea for a way to have fun with a bicycle powered by gasoline, without having to shell out the bucks.

I had been digging around the internet a little bit trying to find ways people hook engines up to bikes, and thought about buying one of those chinese 80cc (66cc) engine kits, but have heard good and very bad reviews so I've been hesitant to purchase one. Also, I like to spend as little money as possible mostly, and use what I have/can find. Well it just so happens, a friend an I were driving down the road and BAM! Theres an old edger sitting next to a garbage can. Sure enough, the lady was getting rid of this archaic piece of junk, so we threw it in the car and back to the garage we went. It turned out to be a briggs and stratton 2hp engine, and with a little nothing at all, it fired right up. It was completely covered in dirt and grease, but was super clean inside, even had good gas in it and a new air filter. Well I thought "man, I wonder if I could hook this up to a bike?!" Well, it seems like some folks on here have done it, so here comes yet another B&S build for your reading pleasure.

Now I don't think I can post very often, as I don't live anywhere at the moment and this project will be bouncing around to whoevers house I'm staying at, but I'll try and post pics as much as possible. I plan to use a cruiser bike, with a modified frame to fit the engine, and a double bar with a homemade gas tank bewteen them. No real solid plans, just going with the flow of what I can pick up. Here's the engine on the edger:

So I know it's not the best idea to run this engine without a shroud, but after much though...screw it! Here's a picture of me hacking off the front plate that's casted onto the fins, which would essentially block the airflow to the fins if the shroud isn't mounted. This way I can hope the added airflow to the fins will help keep it from over-heating.

Still workin on finishing up the motor hack-job, hopefully get it cleaned and back together soon.

Well here's what I picked up at a flea market, not sure what it is or what year it's from but man did my arms get tired after riding it around town! People sure look at you differently with bars like these... Oh and you gotta love the sweet custom wheel/tire paint job!

Then I found all this stuff at another flea market soon after:

And after a little wrenching, it's starting to take a different shape:

I am doing pretty much the same engine 2 hp Briggs 6B S and was thinking of taking off the shroud and fin wall as well. I am also thinking of taking a hammer to the fly wheel fins and grinding those down. The last time I took out my 49cc two stroke (They are not bad and cheap as heck) I noticed a ton of air to cool the thing down. Let me know how it works out for you. Very cool build, I will be watching.

Awesome, glad this is an engine that's being used! I really only started with this one since I scored it for free. Seems like it'll end up working decently enough for what I want to do with it and just cruise around, no hurry. I actually just picked up another free edger with the same engine, so either I will have a backup engine, make another bike, or inspire a friend to build one also with me. What are you doing for your driveline? I want to do a centrifugal clutch with direct chain to the rear wheel. I haven't really seen anyone doing that which makes me think it might not work well, but in my head it seems like it'd work just fine. But maybe there's something I'm missing?

Love the beginning! Simplicity is always the best way to go. Centrifugal clutch driving the rear with a realistically larger sprocket for drive-ability and some homebrewed sheetmetal. I think Briggs made a bolt on pulley for the flywheel to ease starting tasks.

So my friend was given a cruiser with one of those chinese engine kits, had been sitting for a couple years and we got it fired up the first night. I couldn't contain the grin on my face so I decided to put the briggs on the back burner and just put a kit on this one. Ran into some problems with the engine, so I want to finish the bike soon, just made sense to go with the kit. I have seen both good and bad reviews, I didn't figure I'd ever want one, but I'm just gonna go for it! Made a little progress on my frame. I couldn't find anyone to bend me a nice loop downtube so I decided to just work with what I got.

I chopped off the two side tubes:

Then I got rid of the blue paint and cut out this tube:

And here it is brazed up and mocked up:

Awesome, glad this is an engine that's being used! I really only started with this one since I scored it for free. Seems like it'll end up working decently enough for what I want to do with it and just cruise around, no hurry. I actually just picked up another free edger with the same engine, so either I will have a backup engine, make another bike, or inspire a friend to build one also with me. What are you doing for your driveline? I want to do a centrifugal clutch with direct chain to the rear wheel. I haven't really seen anyone doing that which makes me think it might not work well, but in my head it seems like it'd work just fine. But maybe there's something I'm missing?

I have been checking out the rat rod build off 9 posts and have not checked this part of the site in a while. I am doing a jack shaft set up with cent clutch and chain. I have heard that trying to go engine straight to rear wheel can be problematic, for alignment alone I could see it might be a problem for me. I just finished a seat post pretty much the same as yours as well. I need to be done with mine by the end of the month so I will check back here to let you know how my Briggs set up worked out. Here is a link to what I am doing now. Man I am stoked your doing one of these as well, from other forums I have checked out these can be really cool. Not the fastest in the world but I am looking to cruise not race. So its all good. Good luck with your build man.

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/boardtracker-bomber-xiii.83394/

@Moisstink: Sorry to say but I put the briggs on the back burner for this build, I have been using other people's houses to work on my bike and it got to be sort of a hassle so I'm just throwing a chinese kit on this one. But I'll be back on here with another build once I get my own shop set up, and put that briggs to use!

I have a chinese kit that is a blast to ride around. What ever gets you moving! I do dig the bike. The kit should look tight on their!

Yeah I am excited just to get any motor on there right now. Eventually when I have a space and some extra money to buy a tubing bender, I can make any old engine fit.

Latest posts

Back