Thunder Klunk!!! Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear that's , but family first your showing the strength of a great dad , it takes sacrifice , to be the MAN of the house . Have no fear RRB Will still be hear . You'll be back !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1 Well said

Sorry to hear that's , but family first your showing the strength of a great dad , it takes sacrifice , to be the MAN of the house . Have no fear RRB Will still be hear . You'll be back !!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

I am back! Now a few weeks into summer, I have figured out the kids new routine and am ready to start building again. There is some time after they get to bed to work on the bike now. Plus I just can't give up on my first build off!

Actually started again last night. The seat post was still stuck so went for the last desperate try. FAIL!!! As Sheldon Brown suggested this would be a last ditch effort and normally doesn't work.

017 by Kevin Kanouff, on Flickr

So back to square one. I have decided to use my frame change option instead of giving up. This bike will still be built in the future but with all the issues and lack of time, I will move on for this build.

New frame choice pics coming soon!

I am back! Now a few weeks into summer, I have figured out the kids new routine and am ready to start building again. There is some time after they get to bed to work on the bike now. Plus I just can't give up on my first build off!

Actually started again last night. The seat post was still stuck so went for the last desperate try. FAIL!!! As Sheldon Brown suggested this would be a last ditch effort and normally doesn't work.

017 by Kevin Kanouff, on Flickr

So back to square one. I have decided to use my frame change option instead of giving up. This bike will still be built in the future but with all the issues and lack of time, I will move on for this build.

New frame choice pics coming soon!
BOOM! WELCOME BACK!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Welcome back.

I have a drag stripper frame with a rust welded seat post.
It was buried about a foot under ground with just a wheel showing above the surface,not fun at all.

That sounds worse than mine.

Yeah kills me because I love this frame, but i guess it can wait.

Welcome back Kotter, er Kevin! Just please say you are going to use that lawn mower housing chain guard.....best idea yet!

Okay here is the pic of the new frame!

It is an 80's Huffy Good Vibration. Not as cool as the last frame but I am going for easy and fun so I can finish. This is going to be a blast though.

New name: Thunder Klunk!! I have been coming across all these 70s and 80's huffy bikes lately. So I decided to make an adult "Thunder" klunker bike, using all Huffy Parts from various bikes.

:android::Warning: If you can't stand the sight of taking parts off of cheap collectable Huffy bikes do not read this thread!! :Warning::android:

Here is my song for the build now:

Also found the video fitting as they are at a Huffy bike throw but are actually throwing a Firestone! Helps with the frustration the Firestone Humble Warrior frame was giving me. :banghead:

Anticipating this next phase. So crank up the Isle Brothers - Take me to the next phase and....GTB!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Washed up the frame last night with soap and a brillo pad. The pics are not great but this frame has nice fading, paint chips, cracking. It will look great with some linseed oil.

001 by Kevin Kanouff, on Flickr

003 by Kevin Kanouff, on Flickr

002 by Kevin Kanouff, on Flickr

God willing, I can start putting it together now. I am putting it that way because this build before changing frames has been difficult and at church the other day we were studying and reflecting these verses in James 4:13Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— 14yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. 15Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” 16As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.

This was just helping me to put God's plan first then this fun bike build he has blessed me with! Such a great site with great people! BTB!

This is a unique site indeed Kevin. I have been impressed and somewhat taken aback by the unpretentious, helpful, and non-condescending nature of the participants and their comments. Very refreshing change from some other sites I am a member of related to cycling and music. We can thank all of the builders here for perpetuating that attitude! Rat on!

Very cool, looks like an adult Scrambler

Kevin, this has a cool vibe indeed! Nice "resurrection" on the build off! Just curious, any thought to scratching up the chrome wheels, chain ring / crank and blacking the thing out?...I really like the combo of black / red so far...just wondering if that might seal the deal:D
The thought crossed my mind. I have not painted over chrome before though. Thanks for the idea! Since it crossed your mind as well, maybe i should try it. I was going to paint the spokes for sure anyway. Hmmm.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back