RRBBO13 Timeliner

Discussion in 'BUILD OFF 13 BUILD JOURNALS' started by idiotboy, May 1, 2018.

1. idiotboy

idiotboy

I got the flight liner mostly taken apart tonight, the seat post bolt broke but everything else came apart easily. The seat post is stuck but I'm gonna try more PB blaster and patience before I resort to fire and force... [​IMG]

2. idiotboy

idiotboy

The Columbia is up next, I'm gonna be more careful taking this one apart because I plan to use almost everything except the frame, pleasantly surprised that the pedals came off easily, that's a first for me with a prewar bike ![​IMG]. Also the inside of the front rim is beautiful, so far so good... [​IMG]

3. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

I always have to make room to actually work on my bikes when the build offs roll around.

Scribble and idiotboy like this.
  4. idiotboy

idiotboy

I have no room but I'm gonna work on my bike anyway ;) this one came apart without a fight [​IMG] now I have a pair of fenders with flat braces and this cool headlight thingy [​IMG] and a pair of wheels with triple step rims and new departure rear hub [​IMG] right now it takes over half a rotation of the crank to engage the brake, but I have a parts hub and a box of new brake plates somewhere...

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

I like the direction you're heading

Judging by all the background goodies in your photos, we have similar moto interests! The YZF or WR caught my eye, but it was the Akrapovic box that sealed it. Ti goodness inside?

6. idiotboy

idiotboy

Thanks! That box has the stock muffler in it from the bike I just got rid of, but I did put a titanium akrapovic muffler on my new street bike :) the blue bike is a YZ250FX but it's all stock, our local race organization does sound checks so it's gotta be quiet...

Captain Awesome and RustyGold like this.
  7. idiotboy

idiotboy

Spent the work day wiring and plumbing the pump and lights for fountain at the boss mans house, hope to have it done before the build off is over so I can get a fountain finished bike pic for Kingfish.... [​IMG]

8. kingfish254

kingfish254 CHECK OUT MY SALE THREAD FOR COOL STUFF! Pro Member

Now that is a proper fountain!!!

idiotboy likes this.
  9. idiotboy

idiotboy

The last donor is on the bike stand [​IMG] I’m taking the truss rods, grips and license plate off this one, and it’s got a new departure hub that works great so I’ll probably put the guts in the rusty hub shell from the other one

10. SwissGuy

SwissGuy

Building a fountain, just for taking a Build Off fountain pic.... THAT's the spirit!!!
    :banana::dance2:

11. Dizzle Problems

Dizzle Problems

looking forward to this one @idiotboy ! I've enjoyed your previous builds!

idiotboy likes this.
  12. Brian macumber

Brian macumber

:tmi: are you a plumber lol

idiotboy likes this.
  13. idiotboy

idiotboy

It rained here all weekend so I got some work done, finished removing all the parts I want to use, truss rods and license plate from the girls Westfield [​IMG] west Springfield is 2 towns west of here, one town east of Westfield where the bikes were built, and where my dad was born and grew up. Also got the seat post out of the flight liner frame, had to put the post in the vice and twist the frame off [​IMG] here’s a couple shots to show the crustiness if the frame [​IMG] .[​IMG] but I’m not gonna try to remove it or paint over it, I plan to embrace the rust on this bike...

14. idiotboy

idiotboy

No but I play one on tv actually I’m the chore monkey at a towing company but most of the work I do is non towing related. This is my next project... [​IMG]

15. The Renaissance Man

The Renaissance Man __CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster) Pro Member

The little plate is cool and even better that you have some connections to it.

idiotboy likes this.
  16. Brian macumber

Brian macumber

Was wondering cause you had plumbers crack LOL

17. idiotboy

idiotboy

That’s not me, I took the picture! Didn’t even notice on the tiny screen on my phone, sorry

Scribble likes this.
  18. idiotboy

idiotboy

Raining here tonight so I got some work done, mostly scrubbing the bottom bracket and headset parts I had soaking in simple green. Surprisingly, since I assumed it was rusty, the sprocket cleaned up nicely [​IMG] a bit too nicely, it’s way too shiny for this build so I’ll save it for something else. I’ve been hanging onto this crusty rusty JC Higgins crank in case I ever built a rust bike, think I’ll use it now [​IMG] the only visible part I’m going to intentionally remove the rust from is the chain, vinegar soak, a bit of brushing and a WD40 bath and this one came out great, no sticky links [​IMG] next step, disassemble some wheels and hubs, stay tuned...

19. Brian macumber

Brian macumber

Do you use straight vinegar or are you supposed to dilute it sorry newbie trying to learn.

20. idiotboy

idiotboy

I used it straight, I usually use wood bleach for derusting but was out and had some vinegar, seems to work well. Folks here have warned against leaving chains in it for too long though, I just did mine overnight