To paint or not to paint?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i recently built this bike up, just to have another varsity fixie. now that ive got it together, im debating paint or leaving it as is. if i were to paint it, it would end up with murderd out wheels, whitewalls or gumwalls(another thing i need input on), and metallic or even metalflake candy paint. what should i do?

heres the bike now:
SANY0094.jpg

and what it would end up looking similar to, minus the decals and some other details:
DSCN6418.jpg

that was the plan, to grind off all the tabs and make it nice and clean. :wink: i just couldnt make up my mind on whitewall or gumwall. but what color?

Paint it. It looks like a canary with wheels. Metallic purple. :shock: Then it won't look like a canary. :wink: Gary

B607 said:
Paint it. It looks like a canary with wheels. Metallic purple. :shock: Then it won't look like a canary. :wink: Gary
so a nice deep purple? like the band? :lol:

Rex Rattus said:
deorman said:
Dust translucent candy blue over the yellow base for a weird :mrgreen: color.

since when was green weird?

Only certain shades. :)

like that funky puke green color. the same color shag my dad had in his apartment back in 1980. :lol:

stretch said:
like that funky puke green color. the same color shag my dad had in his apartment back in 1980. :lol:

you had that puke shag too?! i had that in my appartment back in 07...

and i guess the color is chosen; green. might i suggest metal flake silver with transparent candy green over?

either silver or gold flake, i might have to experiment with that, unless one of you paint genius' can tell me which would look better. :)

silver will give you the most natural representation of the transparent green, since its basically a metallic "white," if you will.
gold will give you more of a yellow green. just envision every sparkly green pimp caddy youve seen... thats what it will look like.
[and after saying that, i think i know your choice]

silver flake it is. :lol: but how dark should i go on this?

referring to the silver or candy?

i suggest rustoleum white primer, followed by rusto metal flake silver.

with the candy, just layer it evenly in light coats until its the darkness you want.
i stress light layers, because candies will run faster than a track sprinter if theyre too heavy.
for the candy, i would go with testors rattle can candies. theyre cheap, and youll probably only need two of the little cans. far better than paying more for something larger, and not use it all.

also, if you plan to clear coat, wait about two days. candies usually take longer to harden in my experience, and if you dont wait, youll pay for it when it wrinkes and peels.

make sure you use lacquer with lacquer, and enamel with enamel. rustos are enamel. you can put enamel over lacquer, but the other way around and youll see a meltdown.

the candy. :lol: cuz i know that you can get them in different shades and layer as you wish, but i wanna know what color should i shoot for on this bike?

i was actually planning to shoot this out of a gun, so i could have better control of everything.

for the flake ive heard black primer is better so you know that you have full coverage, but white will blend in any missed spots(which might be better cuz too heavy of a flake job will cause fitting issues. :roll: so i should probably use white.

i believe it was chosen by the masses as [not so] puke green.

fun with candies;

P1010010.jpg

P1010375.jpg

green.jpg

Latest posts

Back