Tom Thumb Tiki bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you may know or not know, some of us are having a mini buildoff at this years Detroit Autorama. http://www.forum.freakbikenation.com/ph ... f=6&t=2613 I decided to build a mini tiki bike in 50 days. Autorama is Feb. 26th-28th. See frame build below.
tomthumb4.jpg
I'm working on accesories. Here is my headlight. I started by drawing my tiki god on a section of 3" exhaust pipe.
tomthumbb3.jpg
Next drill a few holes for my airsaw blade to slip in and begin cutting. Add lips and a nose and holes for eyes and were off to a good start.
tomthumbb2.jpg
tomthumbb7.jpg
More progress to come.

Re: Tiki light ( Detroit Autorama mini buildoff)

Looks great! Hope to see a pic after Autorama :wink:

Hey Tommy, The tiki is cool "as all get out"! Knowing the detail that you do on your bikes, I can hardly wait for Autorama. But knowing how much I've got to do ... I hope it takes forever to get here! :lol:

I kinda stole your idea of teasing the guys and posted my start up down in the Other Bikes section.

Looking forward to hanging with you in Motown!

Well with the weeks winding down here I need to kick it up a notch. I have now added eye sockets and a top and bottom.
godlite4.jpg
Here is a view from the back (the ugly side).
godlite2.jpg
I also finally decided how I am going to light up the eyes. I picked this up at "the electronic connection" in Westland, MI. Plug. I am going to substitute the red LED's with these green ones (keeping with the tiki theme) that I had leftover from another project.
godlite1.jpg

Re: Tiki light ( Detroit Autorama buildoff) 2/6/10

I have a cool seat for you. i saw the request in the WANTED section. Go check it for pics.

Joe

Re: Tiki light ( Detroit Autorama buildoff) 2/6/10

Distractions, distractions! Well just when you think youre getting ahead of the game.....I get this.
buttonbuck2.jpg

So no heat in the shop till I get this guy processed. I was glad to get it, with my red meat supply getting low but it couldnt have come in the worst week with Autorama 2 weeks away and plenty enough to do already. But with the blood mopped up and the venison packed away in the freezer I push on. Here is the latest progress on the tiki lite. I added teeth and the backs of the eye sockets. And also made the battery mount (not visable) and the plate to seperate the batt. compartment and the circuit/led area. This should be done and ready for paint by the end of the day.
godlite6.jpg
godlite5.jpg

Re: Tiki light ( Detroit Autorama buildoff) 2/14/10

After painting the tiki black, I decided I didnt like it so I sandblasted it off and went with dark brown instead. I feel the results are much better and good thing seeing we are only 5 days away from showtime. Now I will let it harden up for a day or so and install the electronics.
godlite8.jpg
godlite7.jpg
I also made the bracket to install it on the forks. Here is a sneak peak at the frame colors. I got it back earlier this week and was very happy with the paint work. See you this Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Cobo hall.
tikipaint.jpg

Re: Tiki bike ( Detroit Autorama buildoff) 2/27/10

Well the autorama has been great so far so time to show my entry. I built this frame in 6 hours starting with only the rear triangle and the head tube.This frame used to belong to a Huffy Porkchopper 12 inch bike with training wheels.It had a plastic engine and a little plastic gas tank.
tomthumb2.jpg
I then took the original handlebars and used them to make the bottom bar by chopping them in half and indexing them to form the s shape. The top bar is one that I made for another bike and didn't like it so it just seemed to fit this bike better so I used it. The 2 bars that go under the top bar are from a vista that I cut up for its tubing.The forks are the original forks with I think about 8 inches cut off at an angle. I then welded the axle tabs from the cut off tubes back on.
tomthumb5.jpg
Here is the bike frame finished with the smaller apes on it. I actually used a pair of 24 inch bars on it for the Autorama.
tomthumbb4.jpg
tomthumb8.jpg
I'll post the pictures of how the bike looks at Cobo hall tommorrow.

Re: Tiki bike ( Detroit Autorama buildoff)

I seen this build at the Detroit Autorama VERY NICE job.

Well even I cant believe it, but I pinched myself and Im not dreaming, that is a 1st place trophy sitting in front of it. The trophy is for lil custom cruizer class.
tikitrophy.jpg
I told my son he could ride it in Cobo after the show but he only made it a couple of feet before almost dumping it on the concrete :shock: but hey he did get to ride it. Sorry no pics of that.
tikitrophy3.jpg

I know what you mean about dumping it on the concrete. I dumped mine going at a pretty good clip last night that smooth concrete and those phat 3" skins it wuz like being on ICE.

No Tommy, I wussed out. LUCKILY! When we got home and unloaded, I realized that we never tightened the steering wheel! :shock: I'm sure that if I had rode it, I would have crashed! Gonna try to get some pics and video tomorrow or Thursday.
Congrats on the First place! Everyone I talked to wanted to extend the seat post and take it for a cruise. Thanks very much for putting up with us!
I will start posting pics tomorrow night.

Hey Jim I just want to thank you and Dora for looking out for my stuff when I wasnt there. Also for talking to the judges for me (when I wasnt there) that was just plain cool. I seem to always walk away right before important things happen. Everybody was great down there and I had a really good time hanging out with the freakbikers all weekend. Its also really cool how all of us recieved a trophy. There is some real talent in our area with these bikes.

Latest posts

Back