Outskirtscustoms finds

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found it! It's on the left rear dropout stamped vertically. 0179453203

I'm guessing 01 would be month January, 79 for 1979, and 453203 would be production number??? Am I right?

Re: Took a Detour

Unsure how to decode the serial number. I have an 89 Detour that starts with the number 89XXXXX so I'm guessing the first digits are the year? I'm by no means an expert though and I only know mine is an 89 because the guy I purchased it from was the original owner and said that's when he got it. The bars on your bike are interesting, got any better pics of them?

I'll get some better pics in the morning, I think you're right I looked on BMX museum and it looks like an '88 just going by the frame style and decals, the '87 had it spelled D-tour mine is spelled out Detour. Then in '89 it looks like they went to a new decal with Detour on the top tube and Dyno on the downtube.

Also noticed the fork does not have the Dyno "D" markings or "GT" markings so I don't think it's original, I know the stem is not either, Bars might not be either. It's a bit of a mutt but it's a cool bike for what i got in it.

Killer! THose bars are crazy! Any markings on them? I just drove through Kokomo Friday, I knew you were in the area, and kept my eyes peeled for cool bikes on the road. But my wife and daughter were with me and weren't into stopping for old bikes, lol. I kept looking at Kokomo CL and wondering if the ads were yours. LOL.

I did stop for a catfish sandwich at Country Catfish. .... that is some good Catfish!

Fisch said:
Killer! THose bars are crazy! Any markings on them? I just drove through Kokomo Friday, I knew you were in the area, and kept my eyes peeled for cool bikes on the road. But my wife and daughter were with me and weren't into stopping for old bikes, lol. I kept looking at Kokomo CL and wondering if the ads were yours. LOL.

I did stop for a catfish sandwich at Country Catfish. dang that is some good Catfish!

Yeah that place does have good catfish, a few of the adds on c-list are mine, right now I got a 1979 Ross Apollo on there but getting ready to pull it from the add and just keep it and a project muscle bike. Still got a bunch more to post but I been lazy... :lol:

Got most of the stickers off of it. Wish I could have saved them but they disintegrated upon removal. Kinda cool Phish sticker, some faded out paper based sticker that was a pain to get off, and a tie dyed sticker. I threw some tires and tubes on it and went for a short ride and it brought back so many good memories from when I was a kid rebuilding these things out of god knows what kind of junk. Here's some better pics of the bike and bars. I looked and there are no markings of any kind on the bars so they are probably not original. The grips are Mongoose but these don't look like any mongoose bar I have seen so it's a mystery.

I love my work stand

Decals were protected by stickers so they look pretty good, on the other side one decal has a little piece torn off but not bad for a 1988.

all good stuff - looks like you have some projects on your hands.

The black frame looks like a Columbia to me. not sure they made any bikes for Sears ?

I had one of those Mag 21 RockShox on my old Trek 7000, it was a nice shock, but I blew it out and replaced it with a used RockShox off of a police bike that was a little more heavy duty.

Went downtown today to mail a package so I figured I'd stop by my favorite place to shop on the way...The scrapyard. :lol: Well nothing much there to speak of but this one was just too nice and too cheap to pass up. $10 and it followed me home. I know it's not the coolest most desirable bike out there but it does have a nice disk brake in the front and it's an aluminum frame so it is rather light and for $10 I don't think I can go wrong there I mean the tubes cost that much. Well I got it home and got to looking it over for the reason they scrapped it and the only thing wrong with it was the cone nut on the rear wheel was loose. I took it apart and replaced the chewed up cone nut and replaced the bearings and re-packed them, adjusted a few things, and it's ready to roll. Probably 5 minutes worth of work and it rides perfect. I love an easy flip.

I got it posted for $50 and it'll probably sit around at that price. My nephew is in need of a bike though since he put the derailleur into the spokes of his Mongoose. Just waiting to see if he's gonna fix his or if he wants this one.

Well after not getting a single hit on it I just went and gave it to my nephew. He loves it and that's all that matters.

I gave a similar bike like that one to a Nephew and it got stolen from his back porch..LOL..Note that fork and disc set up is junk..But it will make someone happy..I pass on bikes like that..

Latest posts

Back