tour de Fat Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After playing with my bender for a while ,I know several things came to your mind while you were bending that main loop in your frame. After turning that wheel for the hundredth time I know you reflected on a ship captain steering a ship somewhere ...then the realization that if you used smaller tubing it would be easier to bend...and the last thought probably was ...gee I wonder how sore I will be tomorrow. :lol: :lol: :lol: I appreciate your build more now. :wink:

I didn't get around to posting yesterdays progress so here it is.
carved down the foam tank to where I wanted it.
IMGP3793.jpg

finished the bars and detailed the chain ring with a little red paint inside.
IMGP3794.jpg

started my flat black paint job.
IMGP3795.jpg

here is todays work, finished up the paint today and detailed the new front wheel to match the back.
IMGP3797.jpg

With the paint finished all that needs to be done for tour de fat is to finish the tank stereo but I put it all together for a few rides around the neighborhood.
IMGP3798.jpg

Plenty of people stopping me to talk and one neighbor wants me to build another frame for him to build up. even got a donor bmx for me to cut up.
IMGP3799.jpg

Further work on the tank smoothing everything out with bondo. Hopefully I can finish the sanding tonight and glass it in the morning.
IMGP3801.jpg

Schwinnspastic said:
Looking great and sittin here wonderin if I could sit on that seat pan for any longer than a minute

I'm sewing up a diamond quilted vinyl seat for it tomorrow just in time for the parade. but it's shaped pretty well you might be surprised.

dang son, I'm definitely givin you a holler when I return from TX. you gotta let me know how TdeF pans out, hate that I gotta miss it again this year.

later

I made the vinyl seat today. Half a yard of marine grade red vinyl and some half inch high density foam and I was off and rolling. started off with two well oversized ovals of vinyl. cut a piece of foam to fit between them then layed out the diamonds to sew them in.
IMGP3805.jpg

Here's what it looked like all stitched up. the smaller foam is the actual size of the seat pan.
IMGP3807.jpg

started by hiding the first rivet under the seat cover then wrapping it back over and tucking under the extra foam.
IMGP3808.jpg

The rest of the rivets were hidden under the seat pan going into the support bars. working my way from front to back.
IMGP3809.jpg

Here's the final product!
IMGP3810.jpg

IMGP3811.jpg

I feel bad because the pictures suck and you can't actually hear the music but here's a few shots of the ipod dock tank. Got it glassed this morning and finished up the sanding this afternoon good enough for the tour de fat. It's not perfect but it sounds really cool and just in time!
IMGP3812.jpg

IMGP3815.jpg

IMGP3817.jpg

IMGP3818.jpg

I'll take some better pictures tomorrow when it's light outside. Look forward to seeing everyone that can make it to the tour de fat. Ride up to me and tell me your from ratrodbikes.com and we'll have something to talk about! See you on the road!

As promised better pictures. I'm pretty well done with this build (two weeks build time) but I'll make little improvements as I get the chance until the buildoff is finished. Ipod tank needs some more sanding and better paint but that's what I get for rushing and painting in the dark the night before tour de fat. Still smelled like paint the next day. Well enough of my talking... time to get back to work on my truck!
IMGP3832.jpg

IMGP3830.jpg

IMGP3828.jpg

IMGP3831.jpg

IMGP3829.jpg

IMGP3827.jpg

so how was the tour? I'm in Houston at the moment and was hoping to see some photos from the event. Great job on the build, excellent.

Latest posts

Back