Tractorliner

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long did you have this tractor ? I'm just picturing the moment when you looked at after it had been sitting around awhile and thought, OH WOW, THAT WOULD MAKE AN AWESOME BKE TANK!!!, and then the whirring of your brain coming up with how to make it happen.

How long did you have this tractor ? I'm just picturing the moment when you looked at after it had been sitting around awhile and thought, OH WOW, THAT WOULD MAKE AN AWESOME BKE TANK!!!, and then the whirring of your brain coming up with how to make it happen.

Actually, I got the idea first, then it took a while to find just the right part.

I made some good progress on the frame, only to spot a major flaw once it was done. I'm 90% sure the chain will rub on the chain stays where they're at. I'll have to cut off everything I did there, and redo it. I'll probably end up splitting the stays at the bottom of the frame, so that there's no chance of rubbing on the chain. I'm bummed about all this rework, but I've still got plenty of time, so, I'll be good.
IMG_2316_zpsda67400d.jpg

I made some good progress on the frame, only to spot a major flaw once it was done. I'm 90% sure the chain will rub on the chain stays where they're at. I'll have to cut off everything I did there, and redo it. I'll probably end up splitting the stays at the bottom of the frame, so that there's no chance of rubbing on the chain. I'm bummed about all this rework, but I've still got plenty of time, so, I'll be good.
IMG_2316_zpsda67400d.jpg
Is it getting a freewheel in the back or a coaster brake one? If it is a freewheel you could install an idler pulley on the bottom run of the chain. This would let you keep it from rubbing and would or could be worked into the theme of the build...

Is it getting a freewheel in the back or a coaster brake one? If it is a freewheel you could install an idler pulley on the bottom run of the chain. This would let you keep it from rubbing and would or could be worked into the theme of the build...

I'm using a coaster brake. I had considered some kind of idler, but in the interest of having it be as clean as possible, I think I'll just be re-doing it.

Wow, that frame is looking great. It definitely has a tractor vibe going on.

Tractor = smaller wheel up front? Looks good as is, just wondering.

Redid the chain stays, by putting where they fork lower down, giving me what I'm pretty sure will be the clearance I need. I then made and roughly placed the seat stays, which will complete the bulk of the frame.
IMG_2321_zpsd2869034.jpg

All that space in front of the rear wheel looks a little off to me, but I think with the seat, chain, kickstand, and other parts, it should look fine.

That rear rake flows well with the front rake.
I think you are right about that space won't look as big once the other parts are on,
BUT, you could consider an enclosed chainguard with graphics sorta along the lines of these
7742787388_6e2d7a8f45_z.jpg
main.jpg

That rear rake flows well with the front rake.
I think you are right about that space won't look as big once the other parts are on,
BUT, you could consider an enclosed chainguard with graphics sorta along the lines of these
7742787388_6e2d7a8f45_z.jpg
main.jpg

I've considered a cool chain guard, and I may still use one, but my original plan called for no guard for a very simple reason. This thing is going to be skiptooth, and I'm going to have to buy two of those expensive things for this stretched bike, so I want people to SEE the chain.

Latest posts

Back