Trans-MIG-RaT...RidE ViDeo ! Pg 15

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you cutting that piece off the bottom ?
Hey Brian, at this point I'm leaving it on there. I have a couple different ideas of how I might incorporate it into my concept. If it doesn't work out, I'll cut it .

Curve of the top tube matches the curve of the seat stays perfectly! Straight bar looks cool being a bit lower than normal. You'll never know that this is a transgender conversion.

Not sure what the plan is but I say ditch the stump. Kinda distracts from the nice clean lines. Keep up the good work my friend. :bigboss:

Curve of the top tube matches the curve of the seat stays perfectly! Straight bar looks cool being a bit lower than normal. You'll never know that this is a transgender conversion.

Not sure what the plan is but I say ditch the stump. Kinda distracts from the nice clean lines. Keep up the good work my friend. :bigboss:
Even if the stump was a mounting point for a cool long handled, 8 ball topped, shifter for a rare Shimano Internal 4 spd drive train? :D

@OddJob I just had the stupidest idea. What if you extended the bar that connected the upper &lower bar to make it go all the way trough the frame, and make it a 3 bar frame:eek:
That's not a completely stupid idea. :grin:
I plan on it being parallel to the straight bar, so it might look alright. I do have some other plans for that space though, so hold on to your hat and give me a week or so! :rofl:

What a day this has been! I got up way too early, 'visions of welded frames dancing in my head'.

Really, at some point during the night, I awoke thinking, "I should complete my fork bracing before I go to Matt's to weld the frame today." I think it was prompted by reading @Chad T 's comment about back on Page 1 about leaving the braces unfinished and having the fork with the patina color on it.

So, before I left for my friend's for our welding session, I made a quick run to my local Ace Hardware just a couple miles away. I knew they had what I needed, as I had used this idea incorporated in my BO#11 build , 'One - Liner'. It didn't take long to find the parts, get home, cut , glue, and bolt together.

A 4' length of hollow steel tubing, and 4 battery cable ends, and a few dabs of Goop glue; and viola' !

Fork brace 1 pile.jpg
Fork brace 2 tube steel.jpg
Fork brace 3 first cut.jpg
Fork brace 4 mock up.jpg
Fork brace 5 close up.jpg
Fork brace 6 drop out.jpg

Matt is a Mopar guy, and has a '69 or '70 Barracuda parked under a tarp in his garage. We worked on the other side, with his MIG welder on a roller stand, a knee pad, and a clamp I brought along to keep the 'effective top tube' distance correct and to put pressure on the head tube and seat tube holding the top tube in place while Matt tacked it in.

I had marked the center of each, top tube and straight bar, at the points where I wanted them , and cleaned the frame of paint and rust in those areas. The rest, I'll leave to the successive photos.....

welder 1 get set.jpg
welder 2 tacking.jpg
welder 3 finishing touche'.jpg
welder 4 mopar Matt.jpg

When I got home, I shot a couple of close-ups of the work, and then got busy putting the MIG-RaT together to get a good look-see at how it all turned out.

welder 6.jpg
welder 7 solid as a rock.jpg

And....the money shot.

59286050_1488630584612573_6495902726826754048_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back