trash to this

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so not really a build just a interesting chain of events. I was driving home one nite and spotted a whole bike put out for the trash. I of course stopped as I'm an infamous garbage picker plus I love bikes and figured I could at least get some parts. I put it in the back of my suzuki and off I went. The next day I pulled it out to see what I got. It was a like new gt dyno compe. Now I'm not a big bmx guy but I kinda remember these as being expensive back in the day. Hmm. OK so the tires are dry rotted to dust basicaly and the free wheel just spins. Took the wheel to the bike shop ($5.00 for a new free wheel installed, Eddy's is great if ur ever in the cleveland/akron area) and a set of tires and tubes (cheap as I could find.) Cleaned it up and ended up with this.

1352557368972_zps90943206.jpg

Ok so end of story right? Wrong. I'm 5'10" and 250 lbs. or a tad more, so this bike while fun just not really my style. Well guess I'll give it to someone in the family. So its sitting and kinda unloved again. Then I come across a cl add. The guy has a 24'' murray wants like a $100 or trade for a 20" bmx. See he can't do tricks on the murray. Call him up sent some picks. He's stoked cus he was looking for a old skool (the dyno was built in the 80's). My theory was the free wheel broke and the family put it up and never fixed it. Thats why it was so nice cus it wasn't used/abused and why the tires and tubes turned to dust. All odysey components on this bike and the gyro worked too. So even traded for the murray. I think he mite a gotten a little better deal than me but I was never gonna ride that dyno and he was super happy to get it so cool. Anyway I'm Thinking this bike looks familiar can't put my finger on it but familiar. What a minute its the bike from the goonies. I got a movie star here. (well not THEE bike but a bike just like the one from the movie). Heres what she looks like after some new wheels (still got the old ones but they're needing a rebuild) some new tires (holly rollers got em on sale,score) the brakes hooked up and a little quality time and love with some chrome polish.

While very cool do not ever jump that frame! I tried one back in the day and it broke, dramatically, when I was landing a BIG one. I went to the hospital, the broke frame went in the trash.

just really got her together but if u got some ideas pm me. mikee don't worry about me jumping it, I fear those days r over. Although I feel like I'm 18 I'm actually a grandfather (A young one at 45 though). I'm old enough to be ur dad's young friend.

Latest posts

Back