Trashman Trike-new pic 10/10

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ricksterr1221 said:
Bend the fork out a little and run 26x3s out back itd be sweet

Or howsabout you just give me the fork from yr dad's Evans as a reward for finding yr bike :) :mrgreen:

Hey guys & gals: keep the comments coming. Tell me whatever you want--if you think my rusty old trike belongs in the scrap heap from whence it came :wink: , or you think I should sculpt the frame out with Bondo & paint it pearl pink :) or if you just want to tell me what an visionary I am :lol: fire away
I am not in this to win anything, nor do I expect to. It's more like a school assingnment (& boy it's been a while since I been there).
I also want to take this opportunity to give my props to EVERYONE in this thing--just because yr building a rat rod bike, yr O.k. w/me! I can find something to like in everyones' build, though I doubt I'll get to posting my thoughts in every thread, (which could be redundant anyway). I just feel bad when I'm at a car show & I just get to look a car over for a minute or 2 & give the owner a nod of approval, knowing that he/she put alot into it & deserve more props than that.
L8r kids & keep on keepin on--E

I stuck the nearest fork (from a cheapo Roadmaster mtn.) on w/a crusty 26" S-7, complete w/'60's "Tractor" tire...IMO, looks much better already.
I tried the 24, but it looked awkward & didn't match the rear rims anywho...

IMG_4464.jpg

I did the b/w pic not to be artsy, but to hide the color of the fork, which I don't plan on using anyways (and doesn't fit the Schwinn gooseneck). I plan to stick to the Billetproof ethos here--no post '60's components. It's got a blade from a '60 Panther on it now, which has an even nicer rake to it--it's my final choice. I'll get a pic in the daylight tomorrow. I've got the Mesinger "big butt" seat from the donor trike on here...not sure which I'll go with, but the post will be bent & up high. Can anyone tell me how to get the vinyl cover off w/o hurting it? The padding is shot & the metal is very rusty.

If anyone was wondering, here's what it looks like where the frame meets the rear end. I just used the nuts & bolts that came with for now--loosen them & move the axle to & fro to adjust the main chain tension (if it had one). On it's prior configuration, the brake lever was bolted to a hole in the frame, which meant the chain couldn't be adjusted & it was slack. All the flex in the frame made the chain tighten & loosen as I was pedaling! fun! The hub is a single speed Komet Super--'60's vintage? If it fails, I have a Shimano, also from a trash can.

IMG_4370.jpg

Sachs hubs (like the Komet) usually have their fabrication date stamped on them. It's a letter following to this scheme:
A = 1958
B = 1959
C = 1960
D = 1961
E = 1962
F = 1963
G = 1964
H = 1965
J = 1966
K = 1967
L = 1968
M = 1969
N = 1970
O = 1971
P = 1972
R = 1973
S = 1974
etc..

For those who speak German or want to use online translation tools - here's the whole page about dating (European) bicycles:
http://www.rijwiel.net/artdated.htm

Thanks for the info--mine's marked w/an H, making it a '65, but I noticed you skipped I on your list...an honest typo, I assume?

Smart. Germans think of everything, don't they/we? (I am roughly 1/2 German, w/ a very Germanic surname, so I'll take credit where I can).

I'll get a couple of pics maybe over the weekend-I am probably going to mock-tinker soon. Fill me in on what you are trying to build.

gonna find a 3 speed hub and add a second sprocket to drive the trike axle, then fab up a jockey shifter.

Then just for kicks I'm gonna cut off the seat post and mount a sprung seat right to the frame like a motorcycle.

Latest posts

Back