Trike Question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I have been really surprised and in awe of the craftsmanship and work of the builds on this site. I have been lurking here a while. I thought I ought to join so that I can get some input and help. You all seem very knowledgeable and helpful and that is exactly what we need right now.
My son came to me yesterday and told me that he would like to build his brother a trike for his B-Day (Dec 13) :shock: I am not new to the world of metal work but bike building, that is a place I haven't been since I was in Jr. High. I have been scouring the WWW looking for information on how the rear end of a trike works but to no avail. I have seen some beautiful trikes on this site, I know there is a TON of knowledge on this site and I have seen how helpful and friendly you all are toward one another. I guess that is where my question lays.
Can any (or all) of you help me out on this one? Can someone give me a close up shotgun class on how a trike works. I know by looking at most of the pictures that if I had a differential my life would be a little easier at this point. This build will have to do without such a luxury because of the $$$$ factor. :roll:
it will be built from 2-3 bikes that we have here in the yard already. Can someone explain how to hook up a regular gearset to the rear and how to make it work? I am sorry to ask what I am sure to most of you is such a simple question but of all the pictures I see there are no descriptions on how the rear end works.
I need this to be more then just one gear because we live in a hilly area, and I would like to build it chopper style for him so he will need the gearing to help with the hills. :)
Any and all help would be appreciated at this point I feel lost I just need a start, can some one help me out?
Thanks in advance, :wink:
Kendall

Hey Kendall, if you're dead set on
a multi speed rear hub, honestly, your best bet would be to purchase a trike rear end kit, and build the rest of your trike around that.
Building your own hubs is suprisingly easier than it sounds, in fact heres a link to the zombies tutorial on how to;
http://www.atomiczombie.com/ct-hubflange.html#hubflange
Atomic zombie used a straight bar axle, mounted to the frame with pillow block bearings, but the gladiator trike is a single speed.
You could most likely do the same, and then somehow work in a multi speed freewheel axle driven from the pedals, with a second chain set-up to drive the axle, but the more parts, the more there is to go wrong :roll:
A simpler way to get multi speeds is by using something like a S A 3 speed hub, look at the rear end in this auction photo;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Bike-Tr...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35a9183888
Basically only 1 of the rear wheels id a drive wheel, the other freewheels.
Maybe you could find a decent candidate on your local craigslist?
Or, order zombies book bike chopper and scooter projects for the evil genius, the plans for the gladiator trike are in it!
Hope that helps,
Rick
P.S. almost forgot, you're probably going to buy at least a few parts even if you build most of it yourself;
http://www.choppersus.com/store/category/1/74/Trike-Kits-Parts/

My Monster Trike was built starting from AZ's Gladiator. I used a MTB drivetrain to give me 18 speeds. Down side was I only had a front brake. But the thing weighed a TON and was not built for speed.

24m6eqh.jpg

I am interested in this too. That tutorial tells you how to make the hubs so they are fixed to the axles but doesn't go any farther to tell you how the rear of the whole trike is assembled?!?!?

AZ has a book, Bike, Scooter, and Chopper Projects for the Evil Genius, it has plans for 20ish bike projects, including the Gladiator. The plans are very well written with lots of pics. You can get it used on Amazon for less than $8.

http://www.amazon.com/Bike-Scooter-Chop ... 465&sr=8-3

Thanks all for the replies,

I have given it a lot of thought and with everything in mind like time and the lack of monies this close to Christmas and his Birthday I have talked to my other son and have decided to build a cycle truck instead. This will be a simpler first time project and accomplish the same thing (a place to put his trumpet to and from school). I do have a simple question pertaining to this build but I will post another topic asking questions for that build.
Once again thank you for all your replies I will eventually get the book and one day I will tackle a trike build but just not this first one.

Thanks,

I don't know your location, but I am in N. Florida & saw a trike , yesterday at a salvage yard. Probably could be bought for $15-25 . It needed rear tires & tubes, & front wheel assembly. Rear wheels were 20".

Latest posts

Back