Trussworthy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Been on the site since 06' and haven't entered a build-off until now.I tossed my hat into the ring and I am glad I did,Otherwise it would have turned into another project that sat around for far to long.I'm not the best at documenting a build but I tried my best.The entire build thread can be found here-

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=58699

This is what I started with.A 30's era ladies Austrian bike and a 79' Schwinn Continental.
001-9.jpg

The Frame as mentioned is a 1979 Schwinn,two Murray bikes used for tubing donors to make the truss bar in the frame.
The stock Schwinn fork was modified with a truss rod bracket and hand made truss rods.83' Schwinn headset.
Wheels were from the 1930 something ladies bike.28x1 1/2 rims and tires,Early Perry coaster hub and front hub-both rebuilt and spiffed up with some brass washers.
Brass "Guardian" head badge from box full O' badges I have.
Sugino sprocket and 83' Schwinn crank and hardware,old Diamond non skip-tooth chain.
Unknown English road pedals converted into 1/2 inch from 9/16.
A Brooks B-72 saddle from 73'
And the Pièce de résistance-The hand made,entirely one off "Smelly Bars".-Adjustable handle bars.

I am so very pleased at how well this bike and its major component-The bars turned out.I took "Trussworthy" out yesterday for some photos and beers.I rode around all day on this thing with NO problems.It is the most comfortable bike I honestly think I have ever built(and there is ALOT).The major influence for this build was to take an otherwise useless frame and fork and mimic an early 1900's bicycle.I think I achieved my goal very well.I have a ton of photos,so in no particular order-Trussworthy
014-7.jpg

008-10.jpg

016-5.jpg

024-1.jpg

025.jpg

012-5.jpg

046.jpg

037.jpg

040.jpg

002-17.jpg

035.jpg

032.jpg

009-10-1.jpg

053-1.jpg

011-7.jpg

010-8.jpg

008-11.jpg

007-9.jpg

015-6.jpg

014-8.jpg

012-6.jpg

013-7.jpg

028.jpg

019-3.jpg

021-2.jpg

034.jpg

030.jpg

029.jpg

021-3.jpg

019-4.jpg

018-5.jpg

017-5.jpg

016-6.jpg

020-4.jpg

012-5-1.jpg

001-19-1.jpg

024-1-1.jpg

017-4-1.jpg

003-16-1.jpg

Alright...That's all I can upload right now,I have more but they seem to get redundant.Enjoy!Now back to less time restrictive projects. :D :D :D
-Kreep-

Man some fixie yuppie would give his right arm for that bike!! Sweeeet stylin' and profilin'!!

Jake Sensi said:
Man some fixie yuppie would give his right arm for that bike!! Sweeeet stylin' and profilin'!!
No fixies allowed! :x Arms or no arms :lol:

bighit said:
insane bars. i want them.
thanks a lot man,I kinda figured you would chime in on them.I might be making some more set-up's that people could just attach their own bars too.That's much further down the line though.

tin machine said:
awesome !! i think its my new favorite vote getter forsure !!! major cool factor 8) 8)
Thanks a million Tin!It's a shame to see yours parted out already!I dug it though.

raggedjim said:
That is an amazing transformation! The addition of the truss made a huge improvement to the Schwinn and the bars are unbelievable! Rg
I think so too,Everyone who has seen the frame has said so(or they didn't know it was a Schwinn to begin with).Thank you

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Great transformation, a real classy rat! 8)
Thanks buddy,I like your Columbia too,looks great.

Thanks everybody.
-Kreep-

You need to market those freaking bars. I would buy a set!!!

The bike is even great on it's own, but the bars push it above and beyond!!!

congRATs!!

dude super cool the goose neck and bars are way beyond!

Great lookin Ride and very unique!!! 8) :mrgreen: But rule # 3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure/geometry

FatBoy said:
Great lookin Ride and very unique!!! 8) :mrgreen: But rule # 3. Must use factory frame....no altering of original frame structure/geometry

I'm pretty sure the original frame geometry is intact. No cuts on the original frame.

raggedjim said:
FatBoy said:

I'm pretty sure the original frame geometry is intact. No cuts on the original frame.

The only reason I mentioned it is it looks like the rear stays were changed,the arch in the top tube was modified and the added bar is ok...It is a great looking bike I just didnt think we could change so much....

Nothing was changed to the rear stays,not even spreading them apart or sqeezin em together,or cutting off the little fender strut tabs.The frame was not cut.Just added the truss tube and the truss rods to the fork.Nothing removed,no geometry changes.Note- the frame used was the blue Schwinn on the ground,not the ladies bike.I very much think I stayed within the rules.Having watched all 6 build off's prior my goal was just that(and to build a sick new bike :wink: )Heck I wanted to face the headtube but I thought it would be pushing it,as it would remove part of the og. frame and change the stance.Thanks for the compliments on it though.Good luck to all!
-Kreep-

FatBoy said:
raggedjim said:
FatBoy said:

The only reason I mentioned it is it looks like the rear stays were changed,the arch in the top tube was modified and the added bar is ok...It is a great looking bike I just didnt think we could change so much....

The actual build thread shows what he did. I, at first, thought he used the womens frame and flipped it but he didn't. I was ready to cry foul, but after reviewing his build thread I feel he is within the rules

jmho, Rg

I jumped the gun.I was thinking the black bike is what was the Og frame!!I guess I should have looked at the thread first! :oops:

FatBoy said:
I jumped the gun.I was thinking the black bike is what was the Og frame!!I guess I should have looked at the thread first! :oops:

Not a problem, I almost called him on it too(especially because it is such a nice finished bike!) until I dug in deeper...

Latest posts

Back