Tube bending question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very new to bending and have zero experience. Is it possible to make decent long bends with a pipe bender like the 12 ton ones from harbor freight?? If anyone has any technique for this that they could share? I plan on getting a tube roller in the future but for now I only have the bender.

Thanks

My brother has a hydraulic pipe bender I use. I have found a few tricks that help get better bends. I find long bends are much easier than short tight bends. I mark a center line on the tubing and cross marks about 1/2 inch apart. I also put cross marks on the bender to help keep things straight. I place the pipe in the bender with the center line facing up so I can see it. Line up the first mark and pump the handle until it touches the tubing I usually give the handle about 3 to 5 pumps depending on how much I want to curve it. Release the pressure and go the second mark then repeat the number of pumps I use on the first one. I sometimes get small wrinkles in the tubing but not that noticable. Some people fill the tubing with sand and cap the ends but I have not tried that yet. hope this helps.

Tube bending is a very popular topic here. Search around the site and you will find loads of info.

Latest posts

Back