Tube Replacement - Need Some Advice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.... I have a stupid question, but need some advice... :oops:

I have a 1968 Sears Spyder muscle bike with an original slick in the back. Its dry and cracked on the sidewall, but other than that looks good and when it is aired up, you can't really see the cracks anyway. So, I kind of wanted to keep the original tires on it if possible.

Anyhow, I had to replace the tube because it was the original tube and had a bunch of old patches that were leaking and the first trip out after tube replacement, the tire spun out on the wheel and sheared off the valve stem. :cry:

Anyone else ever had this happen? Did I install it wrong? Or could it be because the rubber is so dry on the bead? :?:

Any words of advice would be great.
1968SearsSpyder02.jpg

1968SearsSpyder01.jpg

Can you put a thicker tube in it? As you stated probably more of a problem with the tire. Try roughing up the bead with a little sandpaper or steel wool.

I think the best thing to do as Cman mentioned is use a larger inner tube if possible. I think that is the problem. Whatever you do, don't get a $3 all size at wal mart those things are so useless! :shock: :roll: I had a 1969 Sears Spyder with the same slick I think and every time I put one of those brand new tubes in there from wal mart it was totally destroyed 15 feet down the road with no evidence as to the cause. :x I bought a real, specificly sized one from a bike shop that they said was higher quality and it never deflated as long as I owned that bike.

Edit: My Spyder did have some issues with the rear rim when I first got it that you may want to look for in replacing the tube. The original tube had a severed valve stem, which was caused by a sharp valve stem hole. It was like a razor blade! :shock: Un-noticeable filing fixed this completely.

Also, when you have the tire off, use your fave heavy duty cleaner and scrub down the inside bead of the rim. I'm guessing you may have some armor-all or possibly wax preventing the tire from getting a good grip on the rim. Take a close look at the bead section of the tire as well. If it's super shiney, use a light grit sandpaper and carefully scuff it. Unless you have legs like Lance Armstrong, that rim shouldn't be spinning on the tire afterwards. :wink:
Hope that helps,
Rick

i had that issue with the lucky 7 when i put the really old us royal bicycle tires on it. they were so hard they actually sounded weird when riding and slipped on the rear so bad i had the same thing happen. i wanted cream tires anyways so i changed them. you could try roughing it up but be very careful, i would personally try a little contact cement when you have the tire back on the rim then inflate and bead it. also maybe try a little more air.

Latest posts

Back