Tumbleweed

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not the wildest thing ever built by any means but i just wanted something clean. Bear in mind this is my first build ever so if i get one vote that isn't my own i'll be happy :lol: . HUGE thanks to karfer for the pin striping, it makes this build. And thanks to mike at Vintage Bike Supply for having great parts at affordable prices and to everyone i've stolen ideas from. Put on some ZZ Top (because that's what i heard when i had the dream that inspired this build http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vppbdf-qtGU&feature=related) and take a gander at my 50's hotrod/bobber influenced build, "Tumbleweed".

From humble beginnings as a 1952 Schwinn straight bar.

IMG_4826 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

To this:

IMG_4924 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4918 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4934 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4931 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4933 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4919 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4920 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4921 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4930 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4928 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

Just a few for the rust fiends.

IMG_4925 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

IMG_4927 by sabbparrish, on Flickr

I figure some rust and an old gas pump in the back ground can't hurt my chances of winning. It's been fun!

Frame: 1952 Schwinn
Fork: Reproduction springer with a flipped headset bracket and shortened spring and bolt.
Wheels: Perry B100 rear, New Departure front
Tires: 26x2.125 Duro cream bricks
Cranks: Tioga 175mm (i know, long for a raked ride) with a reproduction sweetheart chain wheel
Pedals: Magna reproduction
Lights: Custom LED front and rear
Seat: Origin8

Re: *Tumbleweed*

Great job!! I like the black/brown/white combo, plus the copper struts match the brown very well in the right lighting!Nice touch.
Not to mention the pinstripping!

Love the attention to detail. A great looking build.

thats a really sharp looking bike! :D nice and clean,and the pinstriping really sets it off. great job! 8)

GREAT LOOKING BIKE!! YOU DID A FINE JOB. THE COLORS REALLY POP. HAVE A COLD ONE ON ME !! CONGRATS. PEACE

Nice work! You kept it simple... left out the stuff that wasn't cool and left in the stuff that is.

I'd ride that in a heartbeat.

--Rob

I keep coming back to the pictures of this bike. So far, one of the best entries this year! It's a sharp dressed bike.

Nice bike! :D That rear light mount is PURE genius 8)

I really like everything about this bike. The rear light bracket is very clever.

Gold Street Customs said:
A big congrads on your first build, you paid attention and you made an instant classic, now all we have to do is make a ride together sometime...
Any good spots to ride up in lucerne? I should come to see you soon, i need to get on my wife's columbia. Don't tell the wife but i've got another build brewing, i just need an aluminum cruiser frame, a 24" mag wheel and a 3 speed 26" rear...

jerrykr said:
I really like everything about this bike. The rear light bracket is very clever.
SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Nice bike! :D That rear light mount is PURE genius 8)
That's one idea that i can claim for myself, that and the springer with the flipped bracket. It would be a great compliment to see one of my ideas on another bike. I definitely feel intimidated by some of the work here, it's awesome. The most metal work i did was bending the springer bracket down with a hammer and a vice. It is cool though to see everyone be creative using what tools and skills they have, the outcomes have been amazing. :D

VERY VERY COOL!

Small change here, the copper support tubes on the springer look great but they splay out when the spring is compressed. It would be fine for something i rode once or twice a month but she's a "commuter", 2.5ish miles to work. So i'm back to the stock ones but they are painted with copper flake paint.

073111215353 by sabbparrish, on Flickr
I think the look is preserved. Anyone interested in the old copper ones let me know.

Latest posts

Back