Twist grip shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, guys.
I am looking to buy a shifter for Shimano Nexus, similar to what could be found on Kustom Kruiser bikes, some Felts, some Bulls cruisers, some Electra's and so on and so on.
1945c5cc059ecd0db2679e48fe7d0b7e.jpg

What i mean is that shifter seems to be relatively popular, and i am very surprised by the fact that i can not find any information about it online, not on Felt/Electra websites, not on Ebay, not even on Chinese TaoBao.
So i thought may be that thing has a special name to it, and can only be googled by that name? Otherwise for the first time in a long time i have faced the situation when internet has no info on something that could be found in real life and quite often on the pictures in internet itself.
I am so desperate that if i won't find it online i am ready to even 3d-print it, but then i would have to use handlebar tape on top of it, racing bike style, since it probably would be difficult to squeeze regular rubber grips of that kind on a bigger diameter.

Not quite it. As you see, on the picture i posted you use your whole grip to shift, like you twist your grip to accelerate on a motorcycle. On the normal one you have to slide your hand to the left and shift with a rubber ring netx to your actual grip.
This is basically just a special designed grip, you could use it with normal Shimano shifter, like one you posted or also ones for 4, 7 or 8 gears. Many of them have same standard, i have checked it with ones i have in my garage.

I have suspicion that may not be standard Shimano fare. What if the black rubberized collar was pried away and a new full-width grip substituted? That collar comes right off and is more aesthetic than functional.

draaiversteller_indicator.jpg

I used a nexus shifter on an old shimano 3 speed, it worked, but the shift pattern was reversed. So, the older style 3 speed shimano shifters will probably work on the newer nexus. If I find an old shifter here, I'll try it on my newer nexus.
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/291843027732?chn=ps

I have suspicion that may not be standard Shimano fare. What if the black rubberized collar was pried away and a new full-width grip substituted? That collar comes right off and is more aesthetic than functional.

draaiversteller_indicator.jpg
You are actually right, i guess i have just failed to initially communicate it :D
It looks like a normal grip, but on the inner surface it has plastic skeleton, that allows it to slide on the bars easily without tension, and the end of it under the plastic cap is shaped like insides of the collar.
Here is another example of that kind of shifter on GGG bike.

I used a nexus shifter on an old shimano 3 speed, it worked, but the shift pattern was reversed. So, the older style 3 speed shimano shifters will probably work on the newer nexus. If I find an old shifter here, I'll try it on my newer nexus.
s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/i/291843027732?chn=ps

Thank you too! I have been looking at those, seems to be an interesting solution. But still, my curiosity is not fulfilled. Why does internet has way more info on those old-school ones, then it has on obviously somewhat popular new ones?

Latest posts

Back