"Twisted" Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1962SchwinnTwistedCruiser16_zps1f904f26.jpg.html

The "Twisted Cruiser"
I started with only a beat up 1962 Schwinn Fleet frame and crankset/chainwheel.
It had the tank and chainguard but they were pretty beat up too, Gary Van Der Kamp worked his magic on the thin metal of the tank.
I sanded the frame and all down to bare metal, painted the frame and other parts satin black then sanded them down again and repainted them.
I then sanded the tank again to put a 3rd coat on it, I liked the "patina" it had after the 2nd sanding, Collin (my Son) agreed, he suggested I leave it so I did.

I completed the build utilizing a brand new set of Weinmann AS7X White wheels that included a Shimano Nexus 3 speed coaster brake rear hub/cable/shifter.
New Duro green tires from Ichi bike in Des Moines http://ichibike.com/
A heavy duty Schwinn fork off a vintage tandem bike (Ichi Bike)
Vintage white (bleached) grips (Ichi Bike).
A used steering stem from I believe an old 10 speed (Ichi Bike).
A set of vintage handlebars, sanded and painted.
A new "Diamond stitched" style white seat.
Cut the seat stem on a 45 degree angle, rewelded it to make a 90 degree stem so I could locate the seat over the rear wheel "Board Track Racer" style and shot it black.
I used an old set of pedals from a vintage Girls Hiawatha.
Green chain.
LED head and tail light.
Green "sparkle" Dice caps on the valve stems.
I finished it off with custom rat rod style pin striping in green and white and a set of vintage Schwinn decals for a "Hollywood" If you know vintage Schwinns you know that a Hollywood was a girls bike.
I used them because I thought this bike looks like the name fits it.
photobucket slideshow here http://s1025.photobucket.com/user/shuvelhead2/slideshow/

Last edited:
I went to your photobucket link...
clicked on a single frame of your slide show...
copied link location...
pasted it here after clicking on the picture frame icon...

BTW when did you build this?

Carl.

I went to your photobucket link...
clicked on a single frame of your slide show...
copied link location...
pasted it here after clicking on the picture frame icon...

BTW when did you build this?

Carl.
I got started on it about a month ago, I finished it yesterday.
Most of my time was looking for parts and waiting for parts.
I picked up the Frame off a guy named Marshall in Madrid (IA) He runs an ad on Des Moines Craigslist nearly all the time for bikes but he has a lot of frames and parts too.
I got a few ideas in my head, the colors I wanted to use and went from there.
This is my 1st Bicycle build, Lots of Motorcycles but never a bike. It was fun.

Last edited:
Ya like it?
I put on the shifter/cable mechanism yesterday around Noon.
I'm not sure if it shifts correctly or not.
It's just toooo darn cold in Iowa to go for a ride. -11 degrees in the heat of the day today.
It would have to warm up another 43 degrees just to hit the Freezing point.

Ya like it?
I put on the shifter/cable mechanism yesterday around Noon.
I'm not sure if it shifts correctly or not.
It's just toooo darn cold in Iowa to go for a ride. -11 degrees in the heat of the day today.
It would have to warm up another 43 degrees just to hit the Freezing point.

:eek: That's insane... the cold weather I mean. You guys sure are getting it at the moment. And terrible weather happening in the UK as well. It's hot here in New Zealand now, but in six months time... the tables will be turned and you will be complaining about the heat while we shiver down here o_O

Love your bike... very nice. Did you take any photos during the build? We love to see in-progress shots here. If you did, perhaps you can go back to your first post in this thread and add them. Just click on "Edit" and add the pics and perhaps some commentary along the way.

Cheers,

Glen.

No, sorry, I never thought about about taking pics during the build.
I do when I build Motorcycles but I guess I never thought about it for a Bicycle because there is not that much to them.
A Frame, a fork, 2 tires, 2 wheels, handle bar, seat, chain, seat stem, steering stem, crank set/chainwheel and that's about it.
About 12 main parts. I know of course there is more to it than that, but compared to a Motorcycle build, they are relatively simple.

I will take more process photos on my next one. I currently have a dozen or so project bikes.
Next will be either my Worksman INB or a Vintage (40's) CWC Roadmaster. Probably the CWC.
This is my 1st attempt at a custom pedal powered bike.
I never even thought of entering it into the "Winter Build Off" until it was done.
I liked the way it turned out though and just today decided to make an entry.
I guess I could disassemble it and take photos as I reassemble it LOL:grin:

I do have receipts for the parts I used if some kind of proof is required.

No, I don't think proof is required. I just know that folks on here like to see "before and after" shots. Some builds are a lot more involved than others and "in progess" shot show the work involved and perhaps how any obstacles/problems were solved. Or perhaps show ingenious ways of doing something, or in the case of your build, did you pinstripe it yourself? Seeing you do that for example would interest me because I have never pinstriped before and often thought it might be good to try.

It's a very cool bike and you are the first one finished (I think)... congratulations. You have set the bar high :41:

Actually, there are a lot of different smileys I could use to express my feelings at you for setting the bar so high...

:mad: or :rolleyes: or :p or :( or :aggressive: or :13: or :banghead: or :arghh: or :eek: or :39: or :cry: or even :chicken:

Cheers,

Glen.

Cool bike, I just started working on an early '60's Jaguar, so almost the same bike. I think yours will have a lot more paint work than mine in the end though. The pinstriping really makes it pop.

Thanks, all the positive feedback is pretty cool. I'm glad everyone seems to dig the Twisted Cruiser. It's encouraging to get the approval of fellow bike lovers especially on this Very Cool website/comminity. Thanks again.

Bike turned out great. Good selection of parts.:thumbsup: Hope to see it at show or swap this year. There are a few in the state.

Latest posts

Back