Tyranny & Mutation / '36 Silver King

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kick stand is going to be an issue. Wind caught it twice and knocked it down both times while I had it in the drive. The axle mounted unit needs major mods....
d86a4111fe6c64c516fcd9d9b9882bf7.jpg

It's a little too short and has hardly any angle, plus the center of weight is no where near it...

Carl.

Last edited:
They are pricey, but those double-legged stands like the Pletscher might be cool. Pop the back end up and it will be a draggin' even while standing still!

I was dreaming of that album artwork on a decodisk, but one, they're too expensive for me and two, I think they might have folded up shop...
I like the record player arm idea, with a little record, and I was thinking about a little guitar. I also thought about a tentacle wrapping around the kickstand... It's not matched to the theme, but how cool would a tentacle be? I've also dug up a few extra kickstands I have, and I may create a few with art welded on for sale/swap at the next little ride I go to up north in Chicago. Got a friend thinking of pinstriping a few sets of old fenders we've got too...

Carl.

Last edited:
Love the progress and Carlness of this SK build!!!
The Elroy bars are awesome.
With those pedals you could make a pedal stand from a vbrake rear chainstay

kickstand1.jpg
kickstand3.jpg

Ok... I'm gonna eat some crow. Because @OddJob was right. Oh it'll still be in the dragster camp. But I laced up an old mtb rim I had and went with red nipples to match the rear. Then I dug out a ratty Allstate 1.75 tire and whataya know. It looks better. I wanted a black rim in the front too and this was as skinny as I had so...
140f6c4f44f4ea59271b4dadb89b2d23.jpg
73f686f31940249a2240177cf906a896.jpg

Here's the 1 3/8 rim next to it... not a huge difference but enough
aa50ca65b2eddc96b3cfb2ad948a0332.jpg
d1abb962223d5fa5914109a399044226.jpg

I do my best lacing in the house watching TV...
10e7f4d3631f8638e849d894670deaa6.jpg

@kingfish254 that pedal stand is a great idea. I liked it when I saw it and still do even though I had forgotten about it.

Carl.

Last edited:
Nice job on the wheel build, Carl. And I never noticed that your original rim was silver / chrome. The black rim really makes it work with your rear set-up. :thumbsup:

Nice job on the wheel build, Carl. And I never noticed that your original rim was silver / chrome. The black rim really makes it work with your rear set-up. :thumbsup:
Thanks. I did the chrome fade into patina into a fat black rim on my last build. This one needed to have color matched wheels against the polished aluminum. Seat post is on the bench it'll be done soon enough.
Tick Tock...

Carl.

Front tire comparison 1 3/8 vs 1.75
1 3.8 tire.jpg
1.75 tire.jpg

I gotta find me a new 1.75 that old Allstate has a great tread pattern but it's got a hard rubber shine to it that doesn't look right with the modern CST on the back.

Carl.

Last edited:
A friend sent me this picture.
So my anodized idea isn't so rare after all. Now I don't know if this is paint or what, and the quality of gold leaf I found locally is poor. So either way I'm not doing anything more to my frame colorwise at this point... Still brainstorming, still dreaming, we'll see at the end...
ccb2d2e6b0aed367d2e57096280ee3bd.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:
Running into "Date Night" and I can't miss that so. Here's where we're at. Test fit but no more tonight, I gotta go!
bca765e8817d7e7fd3d7eb852834021f.jpg
51a37618fb78fc10e022e436e475efae.jpg
8ec00aaf3b318fedbec9f516a664cb1c.jpg

So my son's welds were awesome even though he wasn't too crazy about my little HF wire feed splatterbox. So I grind and Bondo just a bit and will be painting it to match the fork springer...
Carl.

Last edited:
Does your son have a super hero name? :wink1:

With that helmet on and gloves I'm thinking The Welder, as opposed to The Punisher. His ability is to miraculously weld things together very fast so they don't collapse, like skyscrapers under alien attack, bridge rails to hold derailing trains on, seatpost mounts for aging dads. You know, that kind of stuff. :21:

So while paint dries...
I have started on my kickstand end. Not particularly themed but cool still I think. I started out but cutting two L shaped chunks of steel and then I welded them together.
Partway into the rough shaping...
7bbf6bd377eda4a8e62bc941b5dab1cd.jpg

Then I ground and filed, and ground some more with my bench grinder
a3442b7a4bac4102cf3b11492f8c2b7c.jpg

I continued grinding and filing and got out the cutting wheels on my hand grinder...
68c03a86cc4731dae1551fbdbfa4e511.jpg

Drilled a hole down the middle for the kickstand and a hole in back for a plug weld. After some wire wheel it's ready. Vinegar or not?
4772d4b7b0d0beebfca006098ea972b3.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back