Tyranny & Mutation

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Frame is a 1936 Silver King.
That's polished aluminum boys and it has an original aluminum chain ring too.

b651c58dd93ecfd1fdda1a1296bd8c08.jpg
2293aeffcce1d01a6ff9320299a2c336.jpg

Built originally as a 24" cruiser, amazingly a 26 inch 57 mm wide rim with a CST 26 x 2.4 hookworm tire tucked right in with no issues. Up front it has a chrome landing gear style fork mated to a repop Monark springer with a vintage Allstate 26 x 1.75 tire. I laced both black rims with chrome hubs and red nipples for a splash of color. The rear hub is an older Shimano 3CC 3 speed coaster shifted by a modified thumb shifter. I wanted a laid back seatpost but it had to fasten via a pinchbolt so I had to fab something up. I love the bars I stretched, detailed with brass and copper, that reach back to put me in the riding position I wanted and the torpedo grips fit the original era. So I'm 6 ft but with the new riding position I fit easily on this little 24"frame and it's comfy. I carved the little boot on the kickstand with a hand grinder and converted the headlight to 9v battery. I also polished a lot...
When I first saw the Silver King my friend has, I knew I wanted one. I want to thank Aaron and Gil for all the help. Tyranny because it's a Silver King and Mutation because it's not a restoration, it's my style.

Carl.

Last edited:
Another GuitarlCarl classic right there :41:.

What he said!^ Looks like Santa's boot.
The seat post is intimidating! :eek:
My son said that too. He's worried about sliding forward into the big acorn nut. Me I think it could be better. I didn't use a real leaf spring as the one I have is like 3 inches wide. It still has that look and it's strong but it's not what I originally had in mind. So it's ok until a better piece shows up, or I build a better one, and then I'll swap it out.

Carl.

Nice work! That aluminum is special. Hard to replicate that, and the black is a nice accent. Really like that last photo with the shadow in the foreground!

Sick and shiny build!
Definitely a contender and not a pretender!
CONGRATS!

Sick and shiny build!
Definitely a contender and not a pretender!
CONGRATS!
Thanks Bro. My builds ain't for everybody though and I rarely break top ten. I've come to terms with that. I just have to remember that when it's all said and done I have a cool '36 Silver King.

Carl.

This thing screams classic! Looks like a vintage piece from a museum and the handlebars are really the thing that sets this apart as a whole, then you get close and notice the details on the frame, shifter, seatpost, etc. but my fav thing is watching you hurdle all the roadblocks on getting it done! Great Job Carl.

Great little details as always. Love the bar extensions and, it doesn't get any better than that boot kickstand!

Latest posts

Back