UK newbie needs ALL the help!

Discussion in 'HOW TO' started by T Lauten, Jan 15, 2020.

1. T Lauten

T Lauten

I would love to own a “low rider” beach cruiser style bike...ideally or eventually electric assisted. I go for very much a retro “bobber” style look. I’m not an ape hanger, twisted wrought iron, skinny front wheel, banana seat, huge raked forks kind of guy...deffo NOT a chopper man!

I like the stance of the old board / cafe racers. I like sitting back and low, legs out in front, a comfortable arm position, not crunched up and a big comfy seat...I’m a big guy! I like big headlamps, balloon tyres, springer forks, not a lot of chrome and very few modern touches.

I have no real budget to speak of but I am a VERY handy individual and not scared of crafting from a very rudimentary starting point. Second hand parts don’t bother me. I’d happily start with pedal power only and upgrade to electric later.

I live in Scotland (RIGHT by Loch Ness) I currently have nothing but ideas and wishes. I’d love any advice, contacts, leads etc. I need a frame, wheels, forks and everything else to begin my project. Does anyone know of anyone in the UK I might get in touch with who could help or supply? Are there DIY “plans” as it were. Do people “cobble together” these kind of bikes in a novice and DIY manner? Does anyone have an unused “starting point” bit of kit we might be able to do a deal for?

I include some images of the type of bike that “floats my boat”.

https://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc438/tomlauten/Bikes/07134C64-7292-4159-8BA1-6E06245E8C21.png

https://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/cc438/tomlauten/Bikes/230E1BB0-270D-4914-85B4-50E0FF862F7D.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Starnger likes this.
  2. T Lauten

T Lauten

For some weird reason 2 of the images will not display for me. They are on Photo bucket and I copied the "IMG" link and I then tried copying the direct link and used the "add photo" tool but no luck either way. They show in the "edit" function even!? They are simple links now if you click them though.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  3. RustyGold

RustyGold

Looks like the style you like is similar to Ruff Cycles (https://www.ruff-cycles.com/). But, the easiest way is to just peruse whatever classifieds you have available until you find a frame that intrigues you...and start adding parts that intrigue you. Search for 'lowrider bicycle parts UK' or 'custom bicycle parts UK' and the such and you will start accumulating websites with parts you like. Some trial and error...and your style will be born :thumbsup:.

horsefarmer likes this.
  4. T Lauten

T Lauten

Rusty gold, Ive been doing a lot of just that. I see a lot of frames but it’s tough working out what the “basic” look of the bike will be from the frame alone...some have pics of the frame all fitted up but not all. Also the names of the basic type of bike style I’m liking seems to be different from maker and retailer... Do you think there is a more home spun way of cobbling together what I’m looking for. Do some makers start with certain types of frames for these kind of bikes?

5. RustyGold

RustyGold

6. Starnger

Starnger

RustyGold likes this.
  7. us56456712

us56456712

The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    I searched "stretch cruiser frames for sale UK" on eBay and there were some companies in the USA that will ship the frames to other countries.