Uncle Waits: It's a Rush song guys.. Wheels and Color scheme

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I named this bike in reference to a certain Rush song from the Moving Pictures album, you can also consider it an inspiration from the short story "A Nice Morning Drive http://www.mgexp.com/article/nice-drive.html"...... It has been dissassembled already in the waking moments of the Build Off. My plans are to strip the frame, and to keep it nice pure metal (you know, like the kind those slides were made out of when you were a kid and those hot summer days....and that wet blue aloe vera gel) and do other various things to the parts, such as upgrading the wheel set to some of the advertized anodized copper wheels from 3G. I also plan to carve hardwood handles (and there are some secret things I don't wanna tell ya'll yet because it might make your head explode). here's the glamour shots of it before deconstruction earlier today.(and if anybody can help me with model/year identification.....this is my first build :/ so that'd be great<3.)

Predisassembly

sweet lordy the rust(although it kinda looks good in that shady character sort of way<3)

Well all of that sucks

This is going to look awesome with some pinstriping-esque paintwork.

And here it is, the full monty....... oh and a friends 20's dentist chair. that's actually the real challenge. we are kinda racing. It's going to be a fun time guys, and I'm ready to see what other Rodders have to put up to the plate. Happy building!

Re: Uncle Waits

Welcome to RRB and welcome to the build off.
Good luck and have fun.

Re: Uncle Waits- Antique Women's Western Flyer?

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you !!! (Is there an echo in here?)Colors/shinyness sound like an awesome pair. I get a burning sensation just thinking of the grade school slide, it sure was fast though :wink:

Cool frame!
Know exactly what you mean about them slides! Ouch! :(

That frame looks European to me, cottered cranks and all. Where are you from, that might give us a hint. If you were in Australia I would be pretty sure that is a local Malvern Star...

Luke.

Any build with a Rush song reference has my attention! Good luck with her!

You're racing a dentist chair? How fast are those things? :roll:

yoothgeye said:
You're racing a dentist chair? How fast are those things? :roll:

Tortoise and the Hair familiar? :wink: :lol:

s1cks66 said:
if anybody can help me with model/year identification.....this is my first build :/ so that'd be great<3.)

I believe what you've got there is a Barchetta... probably 50 odd years old. :wink:

Well I went ahead and started taking the darn thing apart today, and what do you know, EVERY SINGLE PIECE I REMOVED had a spider crawl out of it. Good one Arachno-Clause, you get me every time. I just got an email informing me that the 3G wheels are going to be in in about 12 hours, so I'll give them a 70's photo shoot at soon as I get them. I'm going to start on rust/paint removal soon (and yes there will be pictures of this process). As for now, look at what I did to that sweet ride!

P.S., I thank you all who are helping me discern the whole year/model/make of this thing.
LukeTheJoker said:
Cool frame!
Know exactly what you mean about them slides! Ouch! :(

That frame looks European to me, cottered cranks and all. Where are you from, that might give us a hint. If you were in Australia I would be pretty sure that is a local Malvern Star...

Luke.
I'm definitely not in Australia, and I praise anybody who can live there without a fear of the uncanny ammount of ridiculously poisonous wildlife they have down there. I'm actually East Coast, found the bike at an antique store in Southern Maryland.

The Renaissance Man said:
s1cks66 said:
if anybody can help me with model/year identification.....this is my first build :/ so that'd be great<3.)

I believe what you've got there is a Barchetta... probably 50 odd years old. :wink:
And if this is the truth, my name is starting to fit more and more perfectly (evil laugh)! I'll get into checking out the serial number tomorrow as well

You're Tearing Me Apart!

Dissecting frog and cow eyeballs is much more intricate and expensive, and you run into 85% less spiders.

These fenders have probably seen better days..... and nights.... I still have a whole lot of designs for these, but I fully intend on still using them.

Sturdy and nice, rode on them when I first picked up the hunk... But man am I ready to see their replacement tomorrow. :mrgreen:

s1cks66 said:
I'm definitely not in Australia, and I praise anybody who can live there without a fear of the uncanny ammount of ridiculously poisonous wildlife they have down there.
:lol: I actually had to pause my Muscle Bike build in the little build off to allow a 6 foot Tiger snake to cross the backyard, a while ago we had an 8 foot Eastern Brown snake in our kitchen, I admit, that one got my attention! Red back spiders are common around here too... Specially in my bike stash...

Loving the build so far, great that it is coming apart reasonably easy for you! :wink:

Luke.

So I greeted the FedEx guy today with a hearty handshake and a big cheeser (and I mean big guys, I knew what he had in his truck). He pulled out my new 26" 3G anodized copper wheels, and boy they are B-E-A-utiful! (I'd like to thank Jim Carey fro getting me through third grade spelling bees). hehe.... but this guy (two big thumbs towards said cheeser) didn't take measurements even though THE FINE PRINT SAID TO DO SO. :mrgreen: That's alright though, they fit, very snug.... had to actually do some sparky machinery today. I felt kind of like a mad scientist! (which, by the way, is what I plan on being when I'm aged and lonely).

On an extra note....
LukeTheJoker said:
s1cks66 said:
I'm definitely not in Australia, and I praise anybody who can live there without a fear of the uncanny ammount of ridiculously poisonous wildlife they have down there.
:lol: I actually had to pause my Muscle Bike build in the little build off to allow a 6 foot Tiger snake to cross the backyard, a while ago we had an 8 foot Eastern Brown snake in our kitchen, I admit, that one got my attention! Red back spiders are common around here too... Specially in my bike stash...

Loving the build so far, great that it is coming apart reasonably easy for you! :wink:

Luke.

This guy gets my kudos, and if I ever did end up living over where the Men [are] At Work, I feel as though I would have very many pairs of cowboy boots. But back to the bike.

My Baby Is Growing Up<3: 3G Wheel Glamor Shots and Me Being the Insidious Darth Maul Guy On My Porch

The Copper wheels out of the packaging and next to the oldies. I really do recommend them, I mean, look at how SHINY PRETTY THEY ARE! :shock:

I was getting so antsy, I just HAD to pump 'em up! Also note the white walls, Original to my design plans. I think they match pretty well.

Coarse Fit, the fender is still supposedly going on the back, just having some trouble getting it on there. (Seriously, the wheels are wide!)

Like I said, Insidious Monster. The children over yonder are thinking I'm a creeper.

You see here, even the mounting bolts on these dang wheels are large. Tis quite alright for I cut my sweet baby up for them. They seat pretty well now.

You're going to notice that I am slowing going to post very awkward photos of myself working on my Uncle Waits as this continues, right here I am frowning because I actually went to drill the fender mounting holes larger, and the drill caught and rotated, at a moderately high speed might I add, the end of the fender into my cranium. You might say things, like "sire, I do believe there is a better, more efficient way to do that", and to that I exclaim "I am a punk rocker and not a Pinkerton! I do what I will with what I have!". I mean, I'm building guitars in my attic and I moved my bed out of my room to work on a motorcycle, so judge me if you will.

More to come soon guys, as I am going to start the rust/paint removal, which is a shame because I'm kind of a sucker for the anodized copper with the oxidized copper-esque color scheme of the bike..... Might leave some of that in, just for keepsies :wink:
Later Rodders! And here's one last picture of the lady before I strip her down :oops: !

I can't tell from the photos, but you might have one of those rare Thompson bottom brackets like I ran into last year on my build. Are the BB cups press in (like an American BB) or threaded in?

Re: Uncle Waits: It's a Rush song guys.. ******

Well, the worst of my worries for this project has come true, and I am going on vacation this summer...... AND I STILL HAVEN'T SANDBLASTED!(ARG!) I need a machine for myself instead of waiting on friends. I'll still end this thread when I finish the bike, it's just that I won't be back until the 10th. RRBBO8 is a womp for me.

Latest posts

Back