Unidentified Looptail Build: "The Bush-Rat"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a 70 or 80 something looptail that I have yet to get a positive ID on. It was free from a buddy's scrap pile. I snaged it for a possible parts bike for my boys then after airing up the tires discovered how fun it was to ride. I am 37, 198lbs and 6 feet tall so my wife thinks I'm a dork when I ride it but it's been fun messing around with my kids on dirt berms, 2x4 ramps etc. so I've decided to fix it up a bit.

Since we have no clue what it is and it appears to be a knock-off I have decided to go rat/BMX rather than resto.
Here it is right after the boys put used vintage pedals, crusty old tires & new tubes on it for me...

The head bearings were hashed so I got some new one's at the local hardware for $1.38. Got all the other bearings packed with fresh grease. After a while I decided to fab up a lay back seat post so I could actually use the seat every once in a while. My new seat post was welded from the original seat post, a spare handle bar and a bit of an old kiddy bike frame for a sleeve. I know you can buy these but I'm trying to be all rat rod and make everything out of old bits every chance I get. Also I ordered up some Demolition "Machete" tires in 20x2.35", nice and fat and kind of an "all terrain" good for the dirt and the park I'm told...

Future plans include a some kind of 3 peice crank and a new paint scheme. The paint on it right now appears to be brushed on house paint. I thought I would de a kind of sepia/earth tone two tone with a color change about half way down the top tube. Handle bars and rims will probably stay in their current "patina". I think it needs a bottle opener mounted on it somewhere too. A couple board shop decals. Maybe a little suspension fork if I can get one cheap or free. I need to find a seat that looks correct on there, I keep bashing this cracked old one on the dirt when I do wheelies and fall off the back of the bike :). Grips are totally petrified so they would be nice to update as well. Orange seat and grips maybe?

heyslugger said:
YES YES get a suspension fork...because you KNOW what I want you to do with the one thats on it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I take it off you will be the first to hear... :mrgreen:

So is it lame to put a 20" springer from Ichi on one of these?

Haven't done a danged thing to this yet but I caught some sweet air out of a ditch on the way to the gas sation today! I felt 10 years old again for a second there... :mrgreen:

Then later tonight I took my boys out and taught them how to carve over an 8' pile of sandy gravel. There were a few face plants but it was a break through overall...

I went ahead and took this bike to our county fair. I ended up loaning it to multiple kids throughout the week and got to ride it around and fly off of things myself a bit too.

I kind of want another one just like it but with hand brakes for the skate park. Maybe I'll just set up another set of rims and tires with a front disk and no rear coaster just to throw on there for that kind of riding...

The crank felt a little dry so I took it apart to check it out and grease it... I got a little carried away so I guess I'll go ahead and paint the frame now. :mrgreen:

The one thing I haven't been able to find in any images is the lower triangle gussett right above the crank. I don't know if it shows that well in the pics. From the looks it could be either the rampar of the webco.

Stipped the frame down to as much bare metal as I could with the DA sander...

Started with rustoleum 1920 Army Green, dusted with a bit of Krylon Italian Olive, then for some reason I decided I needed some clean stripes of a tan color so I masked a bit and sprayed Krylon Satin Pebble...

Oh no don't worry, paint is cheap!

Here it is with a few accents...

I have some orange hand grenade grips and an orange diamond seat comming. Would orange comp 3 tires be too much? I mn kind of hooked on the Machete tires for riding so I am reluctant to mess with success. I found these cult brand orange sidewall/black tread tires but I can't find them for sale in the US.

I was picking in my buddy's pile where I got this bike and found the matching Femco front wheel! No big deal but I had been using some other bike's wheel untill now and it wasn't quite as beefy. Took the bearings out and cleaned it up, fresh grease and it spins nice.

I swaped my crank gear to a longer 1 piece crank. It looks idential and appears to be the same brand with "Japan" stamped on the inside and all that. I hope the longer crank will help me feel a little more stretched out. I thought about swaping to a higher gear but I like the look of the gear and the 36/18 gearing seems to be a good fit for how I have been playing with the bike on somewhat technical lower speed riding. I can smoke my kids off the line which is so important... :mrgreen:

The fork says Tange on the head tube. I found some pics around the web that ID it as a Tange TX-500 about 1978 or so, which seems to be Cro-Mo and generally light and pretty cool. People pay too much for these things...

Here it is all painted and put together...

Now I'm thinking of re-fabing it with a bit of stretch for a 20.75" top tube. Maybe. I really like riding it but it would be nice if it fit my 6' body all the way.

Also some dirt tires are in it's future for sure.

Looking good! It would be a shame to modify that frame, but modify another while still riding that one would be cool! What about a 24 or 26" bmx build? Doing one myself at the moment...

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking good! It would be a shame to modify that frame, but modify another while still riding that one would be cool! What about a 24 or 26" bmx build? Doing one myself at the moment...

Luke.

Yeah I have thought about that too. I love the old-schoolness of this frame and I am reluctant to modify it. I have an 80s free spirit that would lend itself well to cutting up. I have a road bike frame I set up for the fair I could use parts of for a 26" build up. I guess I just want something in the BMX flavor that fits a little better. I would go 24" but I have no 24" rims or anything whereas I have a ton of 20" and enough 26" to probably pull something off anyway.

I have to say I am really liking riding on the 20" tires for some reason so I may lean that direction.

Latest posts

Back