UNOFFICIAL FOLDING BIKE BUILD OFF CONTEST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you get a lot of use out of it after all that time and money. I spent about $400 on my last build off bike and it sat in the way unused, now its at a friends house with more room. I might use it on some cruiser rides this year, dont know yet. So, Im a little more careful on buying the fancy parts if Im not really going to use it much. I have about $30 into this bike so far for the paint, everything else was traded for or free. Its gonna end up in my friends basement as well. Space is tight here but bikes are so addicting. I should get my frame primed tomorrow. Im having a hard time getting the piece off that holds the frame halves together. I might just leave it in place and tape over it. I have more sanding to do on it yet near the crank area. If I just get everything smooth around the scratches and get the rust off, that will be good enough for me.

i say if you can swing the cool brooks stuff go for it just means you like nice parts. but parts are not going to make the difference they are just rat rodder's bling bling. i would run that stuff too

Is there a problem here anywhere? I don't see it.

I like those pedals. And I would take those Brooks grips with me everytime I stopped somewhere. Hopefully they slide right off and on.

Brooks makes the ultimate parts. If you can afford em, Go for it. My Primer is drying. I have a different pair of pedals I want to use but cant free up either one that came on the bike. They spin ok but look kinda cheesy. Im trying different lubes poured on the threads and still cant get either one to turn off.

Well I need to sand and reprime parts of my frame. I didn't sand it well enough. That wont happen today, we are getting pounded with snow. R.I.P. Phil Wood. An inivator of the industry.

Looks like Im officially out of this one. I just got forced back on call and heading to my home away from home AKA The Plains Hotel in Cheyenne. My frame and fork are primed but the frame needs to be reworked a bit, I have to work on the chaingaurd and back fender too. Im not going to stress on trying to get it done when Im only home for 18 hours every 3rd or 4th day. Id rather take my time and do it right.
Its going to look like this but with an orange frame fork, a rear half fender(front fender from a schwinn stingray chopper) the original rear rack, and if I can get these pedals off, it will have different pedals. I want to paint the sides of the tank and the wheels white too. Whenever I get to finish it, I'll send you guys some pictures. Im not going to bother entering the next contest until I can finish this one. All the bikes on here look great.

100_0004-3.jpg

Im here, just dont have time for it right now. Working on call and travelling so much has consumed my life. Looks like I will have to wait for people with seniority to go on vacation before I can hold a schedule again. Might be the end of April before that happens. I want to get this one done and do a steampunked 3 speed for the next one. Ive been seeing some cool decor.

Maybe we can extend this one till the end of april then, I really hope I can finish this by then. Basically just need to sand a bit and reprime and then paint the frame, fork, fender, and chaingaurd. even if we dont get voted on, we all ended up with much cooler bikes than we started with. Ive been home exactly 12 hours when the phone rang and Im leaving again for a few days.

Bighit, Wheres your pics, Im really curious how your bike turned out. I know you did a lot of work to it. Vacations start on the 15th, I should get a schedule then and get this finished.

heres one i rigged up to tote around in the porsche. Folds in half seat pushes down bars come off and the pedals unscrew

bike020.jpg

bike023.jpg

bike021.jpg

Love the job you did on the Italian folder. Someday I need to do something with a few old folders I have.

Graziella Tandem Folder
IMG_6409.jpg

DNB Porta Fold
IMAGE_341.jpg

Raleigh Twenty
My20wJohnny1.jpg

Well I figured since everyone else is sharing theirs I will post mine.

It's a 60's Italian Amica 20" folder that I picked up for $40.00 and then lots of work and $100.00 or so dollars later....

IMG_8514.jpg

Amica_Folder_08.jpg

Amica_Folder_14.jpg

I converted it to fixed gear and gave it a front disc brake, rides so much better now.

Here is my Folding Pugsley "FUGSLEY" bike? It is a 1986 Dahon Classic with OCC Stingray rear ends and OCC rims with Harley Davidson tires. I still have painted it. My wife and I went for a Turkey Day ride today. You can really see the contrast with her little Dahon next to Fugsley.

WP_000772.jpg

WP_000770.jpg

WP_000774.jpg

Photo_409219BF-6152-9F46-FBBA-F1BD9D8FFF9A.jpg

This may be sort of jumping a thread...? But here's a couple

monkeytrike.jpg

This is a Montgomery Wards folding trike. It still won't fit in my car!! :lol:

And a Raleigh folder, '67 S/A 3 spd hub and I can't remember the wheel size :oops: it's in the garage and it's COLD out. I think 16".

raleigh-folder1.jpg

The trike I'm going to mod for my wife, the Raleigh I may refresh and sell, I guess they're not that common.
Folders are just...fun. Kinda cute and fun.

Thanks for looking.

Fisnished Fugsley, so I figured I should update the photos of it.
IMG_4868.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

kingfish254 Fuglsy is awesome!
I know the contest is over but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents
This Giadorno lightweight aluminum bike is modified to be a stingray.
6 speeds shimano gear system and It still folds
333lijl.jpg

Its not as stable to ride I think I have to get used to it.

Latest posts

Back