Unofficial March Shootout

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old Belgium made pedals I am using. They look slippery.
15519937383621735769287.jpg
1551993768311-374844116.jpg

A bit of color in the sun, not much.
IMG_20190307_144941.jpg

Shadows, mostly dark.
IMG_20190307_150548.jpg

Went black pearl, graphite from below, clear purple from below, clear blue from the top and fused and ovelayed on the sides. Gloss clear engine paint on top. 5 coats of different paints in an hour

Custom MC Darts under the clear..

IMG_20190307_151606.jpg

Last edited:
it was +8F when I got up this morning but at 11:30 AM it is +31F and sunny. Today I'm going for my first fat bike ride in over a month. Then my shop attic will be warm enough to do some work on my unofficial shoot out bike. The attic would get nice and warm in the sun if it didn't have 2 feet of snow on it. The roof is black so when the snow goes it will get nice when it's sunny. We are getting anther snow storm tonight and tomorrow so I have to play while it's nice out. The plan for after my ride today is to mount the pedals and work on truing the front wheel.

it was +8F when I got up this morning but at 11:30 AM it is +31F and sunny. Today I'm going for my first fat bike ride in over a month. Then my shop attic will be warm enough to do some work on my unofficial shoot out bike. The attic would get nice and warm in the sun if it didn't have 2 feet of snow on it. The roof is black so when the snow goes it will get nice when it's sunny. We are getting anther snow storm tonight and tomorrow so I have to play while it's nice out. The plan for after my ride today is to mount the pedals and work on truing the front wheel.
i

It's 83 here in Florida and Harley's are everywhere .

I put on the pedals and chain. I trued the front wheel. Now I have to remove the rear side pull and adjust the brakes. The chainring is small and from an exercise bike. I ground off the original large chainwheel and welded on the small one from the exercise bicycle. This is so it will be easy to pedal on the gravel and two track roads around the lakes out here.
20190309_163956.jpg
20190309_165426.jpg
20190309_170558.jpg
20190309_170652.jpg

They are from an old bike shop. 9/16 made in Belgium. The only markings are on the dust caps where it says Made in Belgium around the out side of the cap and on the inside it says JRC. Each pedal is a little different, but you have to look closely to see, if I recall the difference is the hole size on the inside pedal support. There were almost new and work very well.
What pedals are you using ? I would like to find some like that . Awesome build .

I have seen rusty ones on eBay but they want way too much for them. There is a set of them on eBay for $25 but they are both right hand. They are JRC brand, 9/16 with dust caps so they can be rebuilt.

They are from an old bike shop. 9/16 made in Belgium. The only markings are on the dust caps where it says Made in Belgium around the out side of the cap and on the inside it says JRC. Each pedal is a little different, but you have to look closely to see, if I recall the difference is the hole size on the inside pedal support. There were almost new and work very well.
There's bicycles in Belgium ?

I have seen rusty ones on eBay but they want way too much for them. There is a set of them on eBay for $25 but they are both right hand. They are JRC brand, 9/16 with dust caps so they can be rebuilt.

Yes, Belgium has bicycles. They were heavily Influenced by the French, some of the same weird threading but they were a little smarter and made reverse threading on the their bottom brackets so they didn't loosen up when they peddled. I was told that the French made their bottom brackets loosen up when they went forward was because they were so use to retreating backwards. They get tight in reverse. I think they were pulling my leg on that one. I love old French bicycles and currently have two. In the late 60s I had one and couldn't figure out why no replacement parts fit. It was cobbled together as parts wore out and was my touring bicycle. It's lone gone, probably ended out in the thrift shop when I bought my 1984 Trek.

Are those 3 inch tires? I have always wanted to put my spare 3 inch street tires on one of my clunkers.
Good eye, 26 x 3 CST hookworms on a 50mm rim. I had to dig out my homemade crimping tool to work on the stays to get it to fit. It's a fun wheel, I laced an old Shimano 3 speed coaster to it. Bought a pair of rims then a pair of tires, laced a kickback hub to the other one...

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

Last edited:
Looking at my photos I notice that the darts on the fork are painted blue. I had blue tires on this bike a few years ago and didn't like them. I had painted the darts to match the tires. It looks stupid now with the black trim between the lugs on the head tube. I've just decided to over paint the blue darts with black paint. There will be a day in March when it is dry enough to spray bomb these on outside. A minor detail that I should be able to accomplish in March. This build is so laid back and so much fun.

Good eye, 26 x 3 CST hookworms on a 50mm rim. I had to dig out my homemade crimping tool to work on the stays to get it to fit. It's a fun wheel, I laced an old Shimano 3 speed coaster to it.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...
I'd be interested in just how you did this. I have a wishbone framed Klunker single speed that I want to make into a 5 speed all drum brake narrow wide chain ring with 3 inch tires. I have all the stuff except the spokes but I was leery about expanding the stays so the 3 inch tires would fit. The tires are labeled Soul. It now has 2.125 white wall street tires on it now and theses work well for anything I can ride on a single speed Klunker, unless it's wet. Wider tires will help a little in the wet but wet roots need knobs. I don't have 50 mm rims, I have old Aray rims, wide, but not that wide. I want to so this conversion this summer.

Latest posts

Back