Unofficial March Shootout 2019

Discussion in 'BUILD CHALLENGES' started by GuitarlCarl, Feb 9, 2019.

1. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

The idea...
    Anything goes. 1 picture of what it looks like March 1st, and 1 picture of what it looks like March 31st. Two rules. First picture posted March 1st captioned "I'm in." and a picture posted March 31st captioned "I'm done." I'll compile a voting thread with finished pics afterwards (unless a mod wants to jump in) Posting pictures along the way is encouraged. Awesome transformations from the average into rat supreme is the goal.

Carl.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    us56456712, macncheese and RustyGold like this.
  2. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Hmm... with a "Rat Supreme" trophy...

Carl.

3. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

Intriguing... gotta scan the basement and the shed for candidates

GuitarlCarl likes this.
  4. MojoK

MojoK

Let me see how the Firebolt project comes together.

"Rat Supreme" sounds like recipe in a prison cookbook.

GuitarlCarl and OddJob like this.
  5. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

There's a couple guys around here who do a regular build off in 30 days or less. This could be right up their alley.

Guitarl. :chicken:

6. ParkRNDL

ParkRNDL

Think I found a candidiate, though it's gonna be a basic parts swap build with some mildly creative graphics. Also need to build a homebrew special fork straightener before March 1st.

7. us56456712

us56456712

Lake Superior Shore, Upper Peninsula of Michigan
    I got a frame and parts but paint will be hard. -9F yesterday, -8F today and lots of blizzards or blowing snow. The frame is frozen in a sheet of ice to the floor of my shop, but I could use a torch to free it up. I usually clamp frames by the BB in my work stand and paint everything else. Blowing snow gets on my paint if you are not careful. It stays in the work stand in frigid temps for several days and then goes inside behind the wood stove of a week and then I paint the BB. Paint could take most of the time. I would have to build the rear wheel. I would also have to figure out how to attach a brake lever to the bolt on cantilever front brake. I would also have to shorten a skip tooth chain. Then it is just assembly of pretty much standard parts, no chain guard or fenders. I'm leaving for a southern vacation March 18th so that will make it harder still? I'm considering it? I may cheat and free the frame up from the ice and wash it off before March 1st.

GuitarlCarl likes this.
  8. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

Paint is optional on rats for sure. Especially in the mid Winter... I'm likely starting with the bike I "finished" in the last big buildoff. Never was happy with it so I'll be stripping it down for a good rerat...

Carl.

Sent from the edge of an alternate universe...

9. us56456712

us56456712

If I build it I want t paint it as I don't want to take it apart for painting later. It's really snowing hard out. Dang

10. GuitarlCarl

GuitarlCarl

A lot can happen in a week...
    I've also painted in my basement, but I have boilers, no cold air return to a furnace. I have also brought a frame out to the garage, painted it with rattlecans I warmed under hot water, and then brought it in to hang dry in the basement. So where there's a will there's a way.

Carl.

11. us56456712

us56456712

I only have a crawl space as we are 100 feet from Ostrander Lake. I think it will dry enough after a few days outside to bring in by the fire. I only went outside yesterday to get the mail, I did laundry, cooking, working on 3 seats and riding my Cyclops Trainer for 15 miles. I went to the mail box hoping my nipple washers for my wood wheels had been delivered but no. Today is a snow removal day as we got dumped on again.