Unofficial March Shootout 3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the block chain. Skip tooth but no rollers.
image.jpg

All the cups on my bike are pin drive. I have the Park Tool adjustable pin wrench but it won’t budge them. The quality of this Park tool is too flimsy so it flexes and the handle is not long enough. I made a tool out of angle iron and welded on pins. I kept it from slipping out by clamping my homemade tool on the spindle. The pins broke so I re welded and quit this time before my tool broke again, There are grease zerks on both bb cups and these came out easily. I might use 4 cans of brake cleaner and spray the spindle through the zerk openings and then grease it by using the zerks.
Homemade failure tool and what I’m trying to remove.
E064CBBA-1450-489F-B593-B39C296C506A.jpeg
88EDEB5A-5D74-469B-A667-B52E5666B28C.jpeg
CF0B6CDF-AFA6-4CBE-831F-BBF9BFAFF731.jpeg
DF659586-3DD2-4095-A406-4705EB04BECC.jpeg

Last edited:
All the cups on my bike are pin drive. I have the Park Tool adjustable pin wrench but it won’t budge them. The quality of this Park tool is too flimsy so it flexes and the handle is not long enough. I made a tool out of angle iron and welded on pins. I kept it from slipping out by clamping my homemade tool on the spindle. The pins broke so I re welded and quit this time before my tool broke again, There are grease zerks on both bb cups and these came out easily. I might use 4 cans of brake cleaner and spray the spindle through the zerk openings and then grease it by using the zerks.
Homemade failure tool and what I’m trying to remove.View attachment 153252View attachment 153253View attachment 153254View attachment 153255
Wow!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I’m in. VW hippie bike. This bike’s boss said think hippie VW bus. Rack for the front with 2 headlights and maybe a buss front motif, all black wheels with white walls, brown cross stitch saddle, rear folding rack with bug hubcaps and fender cutouts, rainbow glowing tie dye black light kandy fade paint job and a 3 speed nexus hub. Behold the crapbrook...
View attachment 152203
Wheels n tires, front and rear racks, saddle, VW hubcaps and dual headlights have been in. Rust removed from crank & stem. Frame stripped & lightly sanded. Front fender and chainguard sprayed silver. Paint was paid for...& shoulda been here last Saturday. Lost three build weekends to either other stuff popping up or the weather. Logistically impossible for me to finish this one in time but it will get done eventually.

Wheels n tires, front and rear racks, saddle, VW hubcaps and dual headlights have been in. Rust removed from crank & stem. Frame stripped & lightly sanded. Front fender and chainguard sprayed silver. Paint was paid for...& shoulda been here last Saturday. Lost three build weekends to either other stuff popping up or the weather. Logistically impossible for me to finish this one in time but it will get done eventually.
Sorry to hear that. Any more bad weather or real life intruding and I'll be in the same boat.

Finished the tear down this evening. Managed to get the head badge off in one piece. Since the truss and headlight hid the badge, I think I will reinstall it lower on the head tube when done.
20210322_184144.jpg

20210322_184306.jpg

Got the first layer of Bondo spot putty sanded on the gusset, and applied more as needed. Want to hide as much woodgrain as possible.
20210322_184135.jpg

For anyone wondering about the gray round thing attached to the seat tube, it's the battery box. 12 volts DC to power the headlight.
20210321_164511.jpg

Small update. All new chain is on derailleur is adjusted to stop at second gear, but I may have to shorten my stretch out maybe 4" just to use the cables I have on hand. No problem there plenty of room to lose. But that's where I'm at running cables and deciding on the shifter... (No pictures so none of this really happened) also EIGHT DAYS LEFT! WOOHOO!
GC.

Hey @handyandy1100 you could put that headbadge prominently on the top tube facing up. It's a place I've been debating on in the past. Just haven't had a good badge for it yet. No screw holes on yours, should look good.

GC.

Hey @handyandy1100 you could put that headbadge prominently on the top tube facing up. It's a place I've been debating on in the past. Just haven't had a good badge for it yet. No screw holes on yours, should look good.

GC.
Hmmmm....

Cleaned up the frame with acetone tonight after work. Got the gusset "welded" in with Gorillala Goo. LOL
The Gorilla stuff is supposed to be paintable. The automotive trim adhesive was not paintable. We'll see.
20210323_181030.jpg

20210323_182146.jpg

Tried a little of the new color too. Think I'm going to like it.
20210323_181435.jpg

My block chain is looking better. One side of the block is worn because there are no rollers. The other side is still perfect. I shook it for 10 minutes in a jar with some Googone, then a few minutes shaking in solvent and then 10 minutes shaking in a jar with Simple Green. Then a light steel brushing on the side plates, a water rinse and then hot water toothbrush scrub with hot water and a lot of Dawn. Then two rinses in a sink with boiling water. I can read the brand on the side plates now “The Coventry, England”. Lastly I’ll work off the remaining rust with gun oil and a small wire brush.
image.jpg

Last edited:
I think I overdid my "welds" with the caulking gun! LOL
Looks about right for a cheap Chinese bike though...
20210324_181929.jpg

This evening had better weather than predicted so I got some of the painting done. "Welds" still look nasty under paint. :)
20210324_192728.jpg

I don't think they're THAT bad, but they ain't no stack of dimes. "Welding" takes practice lol. There's plenty of potential in the technique though, add it to your "rat-tina" resume!

I’m not finishing either. It snowed yesterday and today and I had to order spokes twice and then more special nipples and washers for wood wheels. The nice thing for me with the March unofficial build off is that it gets me started and a good way along if I don’t finish. I love the UMBO.

You could set all the parts aside and make a change to the plan for the bike and then it would be a different build, eligible for the Annual Build Off. I'll bet it would do well in the standings. Same goes for Dominicus.

One of the last things I did last fall with the power equipment was put new blades on my lawn tractor. Lucky me, I get to do it again. I was trying to work on my bike today and my wife decided the yard needed mowing. Can't figure out what she hit, but one tip of the left blade is bent and now hangs down nearly 2" lower than the bottom of the deck. Ugh.

One of the last things I did last fall with the power equipment was put new blades on my lawn tractor. Lucky me, I get to do it again. I was trying to work on my bike today and my wife decided the yard needed mowing. Can't figure out what she hit, but one tip of the left blade is bent and now hangs down nearly 2" lower than the bottom of the deck. Ugh.

Sometimes I don't even start doing fun projects because you just know a buzzkill is coming :headbang:

Latest posts

Back