Unofficial March Shootout II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is an "Anything Goes" bicycle build off with just two rules.
First picture posted March 1st or later captioned "I'm in."
Right here in this forum.

and on March 31st or before, final picture captioned "I'm done."
You can enter any bike in any condition.

A voting thread with finished pics will be compiled afterwards.
Posting progress pictures along the way is encouraged, we'll all be in one thread together.
A trophy titled "Rat Supreme" will be awarded to the winner of the most votes garnered in a 1 week period.

Carl.

The unofficial shootout will be using the Central Standard Time zone for the beginning and end...

I'm in.
fb575f51157c9df80a82a0167d415fa2.jpg

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

I'm in. I have to use a different bike though as I got my glove caught in a hole saw and this caused the hole saw to wander all over my hand as it wrapped up the glove. It was stupid to try drilling a hole when it was 17 F. I already built the wheels but the rest is in pieces. It's got 700c x 38 mm tires. When I use my hand it bleeds as I am on blood thinners. It's hard even putting on a watch with one hand so it might have to go to a bike shop for cables and a chain. I think if I work slow and in short segment that I can disassemble the parts bike. I can cut the chain off with a bolt cutter. This will be a lot easier than the bike I was planning on using. I'll call it "Frank", as in Frankengravel.
1583070175776-96184291.jpg
15830702200991758501802.jpg

I'm in.
IMG_20200201_121551515.jpg

The Wonky Donkey.
Found in a garbage pile, named by my four year old.
No rules? We'll see about that.
Gonna test the limits here. Not testing the definition of a rat, but the very definition of a bike!
There was a mock-up at one point, no bearings or anything.
IMG_20190829_114215104.jpg

I'm in. I have to use a different bike though as I got my glove caught in a hole saw and this caused the hole saw to wander all over my hand as it wrapped up the glove. It was stupid to try drilling a hole when it was 17 F. I already built the wheels but the rest is in pieces. It's got 700c x 38 mm tires. When I use my hand it bleeds as I am on blood thinners. It's hard even putting on a watch with one hand so it might have to go to a bike shop for cables and a chain. I think if I work slow and in short segment that I can disassemble the parts bike. I can cut the chain off with a bolt cutter. This will be a lot easier than the bike I was planning on using. I'll call it "Frank", as in Frankengravel.View attachment 114691 View attachment 114692
I have the tool but I'm not going to be able to remove the spindle for cleaning and greasing. The old grease is clean but tacky. The chrome is perfect so I don't think it has been used much. I can pour oil in the seat tube or else let the young guys at the LBS, with no hole saw injuries, take it out.
158308266521455743007.jpg

Progress so far. I'm going to have to go up in my attic storage to locate the front brake.
15830828442301045237673.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in. For a name maybe "Huffy Moto".
IMG_1318.JPG
Bought this Huffy Premier from Mallwart over 4 years ago. Just lost interest in the project and robbed the tires for my hybrid bike. Picked up creme colored Kendas at AnnArbor swap last spring.
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG
Front fender and fork mocked up for pics.
1.jpg

Inspiration is 1930's Elgin Motobike...

Last edited:
ColumbiaRepop2.jpg

Pretty rough virtual mockup created with paint.net a 32" triple tree fork (white line) will raise the front about 5 or 6 inches. I'm thinking this is the stance I want. I'm not a big fan of the red either... and I'm still working on a name, maybe "Get To The Chopper" o_O

Carl.

Last edited:
I'm in.
Not sure of a name, going with "Know when to Fold'em" at the moment.
Bottom bracket and crank set came apart real easy with a few healthy squirts of PB blaster. Bearings were like new after cleaning.
Went through my parts stash and found a newer set of wheels (new tires on order) and scrounged up parts to convert to V-brakes.
Need to figure out the handlebars.
0c9d9031fbf021143e2a593dc829a077.jpg
5745c34bea29c3d98c9c0a891675b766.jpg
e285849eb038a0fa6fcecfdfdd612df9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm in! Not much to modify, but I found this bike for free on craigslist and need to get it out of my garage. I am taking a class next week, so there won't be much progress. Here it is as found:
index.php

and here is where it sits- new pedals, saddle, bars flipped and a chainguard dropped over the chainwheel:
index.php

It's a Chappelli- an Australian marketed, ChiCom made hipster bike, like a Linus or a Public.
https://www.chappelli.com/
It's not that bad quality (apart from the crummy chrome plating) and a 3 speed. The cables were cut so stylishly short that both of the brake adjusters were bent, and the dropped bars and jock strap of a saddle made for an uncomfortable ride and visibility not up to city deathrace traffic conditions. I have lights to add, and the Velo Orange saddle is probably too nice if I end up trying to sell the bike. The chainguard (I think) is off of some kind of Raleigh. I was able to find a picture of a Raleigh muscle bike with something similar. A part of me wants to strip the paint off of the rims and polish them.

Last edited:
M
I have the tool but I'm not going to be able to remove the spindle for cleaning and greasing. The old grease is clean but tacky. The chrome is perfect so I don't think it has been used much. I can pour oil in the seat tube or else let the young guys at the LBS ,with no hole saw injuries, take it out. View attachment 114696
Progress so far. I'm going to have to go up in my attic storage to locate the front brake.View attachment 114697
I found the front brake but it was badly misplaced. It was in the back of my truck, tossed in a box of junk. I waisted a bit of time looking in all the places it should have been. The cross top auxiliary brake lever cables weren't hard to put on with my bum hand. What was hard was seeing where it all went with my old eyes. The shifting cables look like they might be harder to install with bad vision.
1583166987039-643289364.jpg

And here's the Donkey's counterpunch!
IMG_20200115_101515874.jpg

Way too small, that seam is bound to be irritating, mounted on a flimsy contraption in no way designed to support my ample frame

Latest posts

Back