Unwanted 10 speed turns into stylish roadster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This one was a garage sale freebie. The conversation went like this:

Me - Are you really giving that bike away?

Them - Yes, please get it out of here!

Me - Thank you, thank you very much!

After some clean up, swapping the drop bars for a set of north road style bars and adding a set of stainless steel fenders, the end result is a formerly unwanted 10-speed:

sekine3qy5.png

Turns into a stylish roadster:

sekine4yj2.png

My apologies for the poor quality of the photos :oops:

BTW - I'm really enjoying all the other tourist style bikes that have been posted lately.

-Mp

Nice job! I'll try to post some pics of my Panasonic when I get it back together, it's going to be similarly kitted out.

Thanks!

After I picked it up, I was pleasantly surprised to find the frame was the right size for me. It then sat in my garage for several months before I figured out what I wanted to do with it. Took about three evenings (working at a relaxed pace - this is for fun after all) to pull it all together once I did finally decide what to do with it.

When I was a kid, we used to call these thing "geek bikes" and wouldn't be caught dead on one - how things have changed!

-Mp

P.S. cman: I got the Xtracycle up and running :D :D :D

Did you switch to a set of aluminum wheels or is that just the way it looks in the photo?

what a drastic change with only some minor mods! :D love the way it came out! very cool. :mrgreen:

Sweet!

Beautiful transformation. I sold a Sekine frame and fork last year, after looking at your bike I'm kicking myself for not having thought to build something like this. Well done. Cheers

Very kool. You put new life and glory back into that bike. Find an old fashion water bottle holder and metal water container to top if off. Handlebar mounted version would look sweet.

Multipass said:
P.S. cman: I got the Xtracycle up and running :D :D :D

Post up pics. I am planning on taking mine on 2 day overnight trip on the Weiser River Trail in May.

Thanks for the compliments guys :D

Rat Rod said:
Did you switch to a set of aluminum wheels or is that just the way it looks in the photo?

The wheels are new. I found them at a sport store close-out on sale for something like $7 each. If I didn't have the alloy wheels in my parts stash, I would have used the original chromed steel rims as they are still in great condition. The lighter weight and better braking you get with alloy rims is definitely not a bad thing either.

cman - I've pictures of the Xtra in another thread: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13568

Fastback Maniac said:
Find an old fashion water bottle holder and metal water container to top if off. Handlebar mounted version would look sweet.

I like that idea! Canadian Tire has some stainless steel water bottles on sale right now that look to be the right size - I'll have to pick one up & test it out.

-Mp

Wow...Now I get to see a befor and after shot...Cool man.... :wink:

Latest posts

Back