@us56456712 31 day ride challenge bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should I do with the fenders?

• Reinstall rusty fenders

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Install teal huffy fenders

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, uh...... the build is going.... uh, interesting.

The rust dissolver I thought would lighten my rust to a mellow brown, not black, completely annihilated the rust and revealed a hideous blue.....

Turns out my forks and steer tube were basically seized. That was fun.

I’m swapping what I can, and it pretty much looks like someone is building a bike out of two bikes that were pulled from the trash. Technically the western flyer I paid $10 for, but.....

I did clear out the bottom bracket. It looked like the bottom of a swamp. The Huffy bearings were ok. I cleaned them and repacked em with grease and put em in.
158084ED-0A54-4B4C-A759-EC8654B493EE.jpeg

I had what looked to be some funky spacing, but everything lined up....
31EEA59C-6E65-4D21-B8E4-B7DFD95BE00D.jpeg

4C5D8126-0F8F-47B6-AEC4-528BB58BB9B5.jpeg

Here’s the masterpiece:

..... or dork mobile???
86DBAD68-69F8-49E5-A19E-64B22E1F93CD.jpeg

When they say PRs can't vote, that applies to bicycle forum opinion polls too.
Also, I didn't see it until now.

Whatever else you do with the bike the reflecto-crotch bot has to go back on!
Thanks!! But please Help me understand your PR comment?

That was the first poll I ever did.... did I have to set something to open it to more voters?

I can definitely scrub up the reflector guy!!!

When they say PRs can't vote, that applies to bicycle forum opinion polls too.
Also, I didn't see it until now.

Whatever else you do with the bike the reflecto-crotch bot has to go back on!
Ha-ha!!! That’s funny; I’m too serious!!! A lot of times stuff just goes over my head....

Definitely going to save reflector man!!!!

I did do some nice scrambling on the front fork.

A direct swap was not going to work as the headset bearings on the western flyer were way smaller than the Huffy bearings.

I derusted, cleaned and repacked the crusty old WF headset bearings, bringing them back from the rusted, crusted, dead, which enabled the fork swap and more importantly, brakes!!!!
D4A79EC8-C3EA-4A23-8448-91EA2F2C7B2F.jpeg

Are you going to de-color the fork?

One let me get really close yesterday. Even gave me time to jump off my bike. Think he was in love.
rabbit.jpg

One let me get really close yesterday. Even gave me time to jump off my bike. Think he was in love.
View attachment 132948
Cool: so, I think I’m going to get the dork mobile fully functional and ride it for the challenge. Once done, I will probably tear it down and hit it with some paint and try to make it look somewhat cool.

Not sure if it’s possible, but I’m gonna try!

I sure would like to know 100% what tank I could put on this thing. I think a nice middleweight tank would put this thing in high gear! (It’s a 3 speed, so, I guess that would be 3rd!!!!) lol

I’ll chase down @Wildcat he’ll know!!!

Last edited:

View attachment 132948
So, this thing does look pretty ridiculous.

I was trying to be like @Reallybigtim and throw a bike together out of a bunch of miscellaneous parts and have it look cool....

I don’t know how he does it, but he can rummage around his shop, throw a bunch of old parts together and make a totally epic bike.

I try that and my bike looks like a circus!!!

I had some of this “hammered” paint left over from when I painted my house registers.

I think it will lessen the pitting issues in the frame: Here we go; grip and rip!

1F5866F5-0072-4741-BB23-3022E186C595.jpeg
CA57A583-67B6-4ABB-8A6B-2C04C21B5890.jpeg

Meh.... spiffy in a jiffy.

If I had a master link I could have rode it tonight. I have a link in there, but it’s off an old rusted chain and I don’t think would survive a ride.

It went from western flyer, to dork mobile....

Now I present to you, the Galloping Ghost!!!

And a new poll!!!
0C0FE7D2-AA7D-432D-8642-364F1789EB84.jpeg

Latest posts

Back