Various Konas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ish

Reaction score
Picked this up a couple of days ago for a really great price. It the only bike I have that is younger than me, and I love it.

konaaha1.jpg

1996 Kona A'ha Cruiser with 18" frame. Pretty uncommon Cook Bros. style 26" mountain/BMX/cruiser hybrid which was the predecessor to the "Stars and Bars" curved tube A'ha and the humuhumu-nukunuku-apua'a.

As far as I know, the 1996 model was the most expensive A'ha/Humu Kona has offered. Awesome metallic orange paint, Project 2 front fork, Nexus Inter 7 rear hub with rapidfire shifter, canti brake and coaster brake (good for rainy climates like Portland), rides really nice. The previous owner was a 60-something woman who had it set up for touring and babied it.

Since it was set up as a touring bike, it has street tires and was loaded with a ton of accessories, which I stripped off.

konaaccessories.jpg

-Kirtland Tour Pak panniers (these have not been made in about 20 years and are considered the best rear panniers)
-Jannd rear rack
-Clip on fenders
-Avenir AV-100 computer
-Bottle cage
-Zefal pump
-"Bee" bell

I might put the bottle cage and rear rack back on, but for now the bike looks better naked. :)

Re: 1996 Kona A'ha Cruiser

Cool Bike. I have a Humuhumu....... That was a single speed. Then an Xtracycle and now a 7spd Nexus fast bike. No brake bosses on my P2 fork so I went to a MTB fork. Coaster brake in the rear.

That's one really cool bike...always loved that frame design.

Just need to lose that seat and throw on some fatter tires. :wink:

Nice looper. I have a Humuhumu too. It's a fun bike, but I'm probably going to sell it soon.

Rat Rod said:
Just need to lose that seat and throw on some fatter tires. :wink:

I have some Kenda Flames from the closeout deal, but the street tires on the bike are kind of growing on me. I wish they were blackwalls. Definitely need to locate a "thinner" seat despite the one on there being pretty comfy.

Added a few more Konas to the stable; got some great deals on these, and they are all in fantastic condition:

1992 Cinder Cone, might make this my commuter:

1992KonaCinderCone.jpg

2005 Hoss, will be taking this on the trails:

KonaHoss.jpg

Girlfriend's 1996 Lava Dome, will be accompanying the Hoss on trails once I get some WTB Velociraptors on it:

JaimesKona.jpg

WOW!!!

I love the Old...early Kona's
Nice line up Ish !!!
--------------------------------

I have my eye's on a local " humuhumu-nukunuku-apua'a "
the original...single speed mountain Bike.

I'm diggin your girlfriends cindercone as well.
Any Old Kona with P2 forks...is very cool!!!

Kev.

I was surprised when I found out that the P2 on the '92 Cinder Cone is essentially the same design as the P2 offered today. Talk about a lasting design.

Good luck with the Humu! I would like to get one just because of the ridiculously long name on the top tube. :)

Here's the A'Ha as it currently sits. Unfortunately, it's going up for sale today - I'm getting older and am realizing that I can only ride ~20" frames. Otherwise, my knees complain.

KonaAHa-1.jpg

Kant go wrong with Kona's

my 1996 Explosif - Columbus Max tubing

i LOVE this bike.

yours are wonderful.
3372446807_f4cfaa7a2e_b.jpg

ish said:
Here's the A'Ha as it currently sits. Unfortunately, it's going up for sale today - I'm getting older and am realizing that I can only ride ~20" frames. Otherwise, my knees complain.

KonaAHa-1.jpg
Clearly your seatpost and handlebar clamp ain't big enough.(SSHHH, don't tell Uncle Stretch!) :lol:

^ I love your Explosif, I want to pick up a Columbus Max bike like that someday, I hear they are the best.

I sold the Hoss because it proved to be a little too big, and I'm going to get rid of the Cinder Cone too (it was superseded by a Tange Prestige-framed Bianchi Super Grizzly that I love). The A'ha is gone, too.

For many months now, I have been searching for a 20" 1995 Kilauea as an off road machine. No dice so far. This weekend, the following 1994 bike came up on CL. It was advertised as a 20", but it is 19". The 1994 frameset is the same as the 1995 except for color and decals, so I am going to make it work until I can find a 1995.

1994KonaKilauea.jpg

The paint is a little beat up and it has street tires for some odd reason. Other than that, it is great - original XT drivetrain and XC Pro thumbies (best shifters ever made), upgrades: Marzocchi X-Fly fork, Ritchey threadless headset, Ritchey Pro stem, Titec titanium handlebar, Avid Arch Rival v-brakes. I'm excited to take it out for some XC riding.

MMMMM Aha, always dug those,

No Aha, but got a two bar next to a kona, and another kona to boot:

41DXandStinkyPrimo0001-1.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg

Both are riders.....

A Ku?!?! They only made a handful of those per year in the US, They were $2000+, and you got it in any paint scheme you wanted. Nice bike.

ish said:
A Ku?!?! They only made a handful of those per year in the US, They were $2000+, and you got it in any paint scheme you wanted. Nice bike.

Yea, I know it's fairly rare,
But even after all these years, it is such a nice ride.
One of these days I need to quit using it long enought to clean up and get some decent photo's.
Along with the Stinky Primo in the other photo, those are my primary riders.

Latest posts

Back