Ventura City bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have my Ventura back again after 3 years.
DSCI0036.JPG

I gave it to my brother in law before I moved away to Hawaii. After sitting for three years, it has been returned to me again. I was expecting a 1959 DNB Folder but it must have looked better than this one, so this is it, a 24 inch ten speed originally. I bought it for my fiance at the time in 1982 at an Alameda bike shop. It was used then with a thick layer of dust from sitting in a garage somewhere. The serial IDs it as a 76 from my guess, which is about right for this Japanese made cottered bike. It had almost no signs of wear so I cleaned it up and gave it to her when my ship stopped at her home in the Philippines. The locals say this is the bike delivered by the Enterprise. I redid it when I retired here in 2015. It hadn't been ridden in years, having been worn out a couple times in the 80s and 90s. I only have the frame, no forks or anything left from the original bike. I could only find 26" forks before and crappy cranks and other parts. They rusted up nicely! The wheels were built by a friend here and are good, although I see rust on the stainless spokes! The 2 speed Sram still works fine. The tires are cheap and still aren't round.
DSCI0035.JPG

So the plan is to get parts: better tires and cranks, 24" fork, clean and paint. Upright or bull bars and decent seat. It should be a nice looking little bike when I'm done.

Last edited:
That didn't last long. After tallying up what it needed, a new bike would cost less. That's if I could even get parts for a 24" bike. Most 24 x 1 3/8ths tires are for wheelchairs and are poor quality. And being 44 years old, this frame will get painted, then hung on the wall somewhere as a family heirloom. The Sram 2 speed freewheel hub will find a place on a future build.
DSCI0060.JPG

With nothing else to do while waiting on a frame for my build off bike, I spent hours removing rust and relacing wheels. Then I put on a quick paintjob. This was it's original color, but it had gold pinstriping on the lugs. No 24" forks could be found when I redid it back in 2017, so it has a 27" fork. Except for the brakes which are pretty far gone, everything is usable, just missing some chrome. Now I need to find something else to do.

DSCI0095.JPG

Latest posts

Back