Victory Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's a ton of bikes entered already! This build off should be some good viewing.

I'm in, with everything I have going into the build. Due to baggage fees and lack of bike budget, this is the whole package. It goes in the suitcase for my upcoming move to Hawaii.

No frame, forks, wheels, tires or handlebars. I have high hopes for the leather seat and CWC truss rods though. I also have a 22 tooth cog to go with the 52 Ross chain ring that should work well. If I get access to a military auto hobby shop (I'm retired military) I might have some access to fabrication tools and get to use the old Schwinn spring.

I have no idea what it will be, or any kind of theme. But it'll get done in time.

winter.JPG

This is cool!
No plans, but some cool parts and a drive to build, going to be awesome to watch!
There's a ton of bikes entered already! This build off should be some good viewing.
No kidding! The BO is going crazy, way bigger than expected at this point!
Some great builds getting done too!

Thanks! I took a look around using google maps street view. Sidewalks and bike lanes, and room on the shoulder where there aren't bike lanes. Bike paths also. I'm looking forward to it!
http://hidot.hawaii.gov/highways/bike-map-oahu/

Well, I made it here, and the place looks great! First order of business is to find a frame or bike. This Hawthorne is still on CL after a couple months and the price was dropped slightly. It's still out of my budget range, but maybe cash will do the talking. I plan to get this today or tomorrow. I'm 99% sure it's Snyder made, not CWC. The rims look matching in patina, so I'm thinking they are original. It'll look better with truss rods.
00202_8yWvIrwkiOm_600x450.jpg

Well, I made it here, and the place looks great! First order of business is to find a frame or bike. This Hawthorne is still on CL after a couple months and the price was dropped slightly. It's still out of my budget range, but maybe cash will do the talking. I plan to get this today or tomorrow. I'm 99% sure it's Snyder made, not CWC. The rims look matching in patina, so I'm thinking they are original. It'll look better with truss rods.
00202_8yWvIrwkiOm_600x450.jpg
Glad you made it feet dry, airplanes still freak me out.

That frame looks like the Hawthorne I used for setback, so you're probably right about Snyder.

The Unknown.

:eek: cool bike name.
Carl.
Since I know what it is, it'll get a name. Right now, I'm thinking of a WW2 Navy Aviation theme. But that is subject to change.
navy-aerographer-s-mate-ag-ball-cap-pin-3.png

I made a deal on the phone and am going to get it this evening. Poor guy said he hasn't gotten anyone interested in the bike the whole time he's had it on CL.

I got it home! And even better, I think it's a 1942 bike. The serial number has the year digits reversed from what I've heard, so 24 is a 42, a wartime bike. I don't have any idea how many bikes Snyder made in 42, maybe someone here has that knowledge.
Checking it out, the wheels are true enough, it has a Bendix rear hub, I don't know if that's original or not, 42 would be blackout?
All the bearings were said to be changed out and adjusted, but everything is too tight, except for the front wheel. I'll go through it tomorrow.
DSCI0007.JPG

I'm not sure on the blackout hub, I don't know if those were used during the entire war or just after the U.S. entered. If that's the case, maybe it's an early 42?

Latest posts

Back