Villiers beach cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'day....My mate gave me a beach cruiser which i stripped and have let rust a little. I have collected a number of small engines which i plan to put to use. I have 2 Villiers (different years) 98cc engines and i plan to use one on this bike. I plan to fit a 20 inch bicycle rim to the rear wheel via brackets and buy a pulley for the front and have a hand clutch (the vintage sor
P3110058.jpg
t that puts tension on the belt). I entered the information into motorbicycling calculator and i think if i put about a 70mm diam pulley on the front i would get around 35mph which is what im after. My question though is how do i know if it will have enough torque at that gearin to be ridable?
P3110067.jpg
P3110068.jpg
P3110060.jpg
P3110059.jpg

If you notice the front tyre is flat. And a little story goes along with that and may serve as a headsup or warning. The front tyre was off my 66cc Kroon. They are the ones sold on EBay and i notice others also seem to use the same tyre. Anyway I was riding the Kroon full throttle on the shoulder of the road when i felt a thump and my tyre blew, i came to a hairy stop. Pushed it home and went and purchased a hd downhill tube thinking i had just blown the cheap tube supplied. I removed the tyre and to my horror removed (and no exxageration) about a 6 inch long, 1 inch thick splinter of wood (looked like from a pallet). I doubt i will purchase another set of these tyres for a mb project. I think i will replace them with Fat Franks in the future.

One of the motors i bought as part of a cylinder mower, motor has no spark. The motor fitted to bike in pic i have had running. Anyway i may be able to use things from the mower. The fuel tank will be able to be used in a future build. The mower has a kickstarter that engages on another shaft (not directly to motor) though im sure it could be made to engage motor for starts. I doubt i will use it as it would be quite heavy (even with lightening holes) and as motored bikes arent really legal where i live and i think a kickstarter would just make it look more like a motorbike/copbait.
P3130097.jpg

P3130095.jpg

P3130094.jpg

P3130093.jpg

Man oh man what a beauty! The slanted radiator fins on your engine are pure poetry! I'm loving this.

You should box up that second Villiers and send it my way, my Merkel is looking for something to fill the void in its frame 8) :wink: :wink:

You can re-shape your leather seat by soaking it in hot water till it gets flexible then wrap a bungie cord around it till you get the shape back then allow to air dry. When dry smear it liberally with mink oil inside and out and it should be back to life.

I did much the same as what you're saying on my bell seat for my Indian build. I used Neatsfoot oil. Dont know if thats any different, just what the shoe repairer sold me that said it would be good for restoring leather. Im gonna leave the seat for now as its comfy and i like the well worn look.
Im thinking either leaving the bike bare metal and let it rust some more, do the tank bare metal and leave the engine as is, in which case id leave the seat as is. Sort of a ratrod look with shiny wheels and tyres as you see with hotrods.
Otherwise i was thinking of painting the bike and tank white with the wheel color scalloped on the tank with Villiers graphic. And making the engine look pretty and painting the barrell. In which case i will either restore this seat or find another and use it later on a ratty looking build.

I went and bought a drive pulley and had a thread machined into it to fit the shaft. It steps in a little which should help with the rear sheave. Ill be getting rid of the pink spray paint that came on it obviously....
P3240165.jpg

P3240164.jpg

P3240163.jpg

P3240162.jpg

This is the manual that i got with the reel mower. I wonder what parts i will be able to use on future projects and maybe even modify the kickstart to work on this bike.
P3230161.jpg

P3230158.jpg

P3230160.jpg

P3230157.jpg

P3230156.jpg

They need lots of oil, that is for sure. But they keep running and running. If you go to a villiers specific website you can find the exact oil to fuel ratio needed for your specific engine. Find out from the source.

Yeah will do Cobra.... its been running a long time and no reason it wont keep running a lot longer if i treat it right.
I was going to make an exhaust for it but i put the standard muffler on and it fits and i really like it. Thoughts?????
I may have to bend a 90 degree in the pipe where it exits but i think it looks cool
P3250186.jpg

P3250185.jpg

P3250189.jpg

P3250190.jpg

P3250192.jpg

I tried on a set of springers i had to see if i liked them. I think i do. If i use them on this ill need to get the thread lengthened and then cut down which will also lower the bars and stem about 1 1/2"
P3250195.jpg

P3250194.jpg

harry76 said:
Yeah will do Cobra.... its been running a long time and no reason it wont keep running a lot longer if i treat it right.
I was going to make an exhaust for it but i put the standard muffler on and it fits and i really like it. Thoughts?????
I may have to bend a 90 degree in the pipe where it exits but i think it looks cool
I think it looks cool too but would concur with you about the 90 degree bend. Oil is going to come out of that pipe and it is going to get all over you. Direct the exhaust to the ground or past you to the rear of the bike.

Latest posts

Back