Villiers beach cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Havent been on here for a while, unfortunately ive been pulled up a couple of times by the police and told my bike isnt legal. Luckily i was just warned..... ive done some research and they are correct. In Queensland, Australia all internal combustion engines were made illegal a couple of years ago..... Not to worry i still enjoy building them as i build them on a tight budget anyway and they still look awesome in my manroom.

Since im not riding it much now i decided to change the bars, i just cut down an old set of cruiser bars and bent them a little, i also ordered a band brake to replace the rear disc for a more vintage appearance. The patina is starting to look good so i thought id share some more pics.

015.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

Harry, are propane run engines exempt from the internal combustion engine ban? I know in California they are exempt from smog tests. If all you need to do is switch it to propane power to make it legal I would do it.

I dont believe propane engines are exempt, but i like your way of thinking. I wouldnt know where to start on the conversion.

I took my bike to Greazefest, which is a ratrod style car show. It was received very well and i had man offers to buy it. It was a great day.

001-2.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

Harry, I did a search into the engine ban in OZ. apparently it was started by envirementalists in the west to combat noise and pollution. The ban is specifically targeting 2 stroke engines, and petrol engines. I think I you put a four stroke on it and run clean propane you will be free to ride. You need 4 stroke because of crank case lubrication. To convert a four stroke gas run engine to propane is very doable. It's just a float bowl modification and a change of the fuel jet. It burns clean with almost no pollutants. This is why propane forklifts can operate in indoor envirements. Look into this.

Here is a link to an experiment using propane on a lawn mower. Apparently a carb isn't even used in this instance. A lever control valve would be your throttle and you could have a cylindrical tank where a regular petrol tank would be. It would look something like a Big Boy Cycles tank.

http://www.sparkbangbuzz.com/els/pplmwr-el.htm

http://theepicenter.com/tow102899.html

I never ever give up without a fight.

The law in Queensland (The state i live in) says Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) are illegal, i believe New South Wales (next state over) can have ICE bikes but they must remain under 200 watts (our previous laws and totally unrealistic).

Correct me if im wrong but an engine running on propane is still classed as an ICE isnt it?

The policemen that last caught me riding my bike was actually very cool, he didnt fine me but harshly warned me of the penalties if he or another cop caught me riding. He said the same as you regarding environmentalists changing the laws on these engines. He said rather then allowing clean running 4 strokes they just banned all motorized bikes in Queensland.

The policeman actaully said he dug my bike (he was a motorcycle cop) and was asking how it worked. He suggested i switch to electric power. He said if he thought i was on an electric he wouldnt have even looked twice.

I jokingly said id build a steam bike, that stumped him and then he entertained the idea saying he couldnt see why it would be illegal. Ive always wanted a steam bike but, its probably beyond my current capabilities, and i dont think the police would take kindly to hot ambers being left behind my bike (as ive read they do), not to mention having a mobile fire on wheels LOL.

Latest posts

Back