Vintage Adult 20" DeSoto Trike Lowrider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I have received many of my new bike parts but I have one serious issue. The rear hollow hub wheels that were on it, require a different kind axle than others being sold. The old wheels were each affixed to their own axle and only turned with the axle. The new wheels have bearings in the hollow hubs and are independent of the axle. So, I'm kind of lost at the moment and I don't know the solution yet. I would like to affix the axles to the wheels, but I also want to be able to remove the axles from the wheels if needed.

Any ideas, thoughts, or prayers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Thoughts I gots: if you have the same number of spokes, relace the old hubs to the new rims. If not, you have to fab a way to attach the new axle to the frame.
I ain't got no prayers, my tinfoil ceiling blocks any that get through my hat.

Thoughts I gots: if you have the same number of spokes, relace the old hubs to the new rims. If not, you have to fab a way to attach the new axle to the frame.
I ain't got no prayers, my tinfoil ceiling blocks any that get through my hat.
No, the old hubs are 32 spoke. The new hubs are 144 spoke. So there is a rather large difference.

HELP!!!

So let me ask this question to everyone, what should I search for if I have something I needed to be made out of steel? Like a little attachment to the wheels that would secure it to the axle? I would need two of them and welded onto the current axles. I don't want to pay a huge amount of money, maybe someone local who does something similar on the side. Any ideas would be great!! Thanks.

Something similar to these photos, but welded to the axle.
Screenshot_20210317-142457_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20210317-142530_eBay.jpg

Thats a super cool frame. I would like to try a trike build, have to put it on the bucket list. What brand bike is that? and what is the age?

UPDATE: I've made a new friend who does metallurgy/blacksmithing/fabrication. I created a design similar to something go-carts use...for a reasonable price. So far, I have everything I need to paint and then assemble the trike. Unfortunately, my customized axles won't be ready until next weekend. I also believe the bicycle neck that the fork and stem go into is too long and may need to be trimmed 3/4" at the top and bottom. Right now my 26" fork is not long enough.

I will post photos of all my parts and the installation next weekend. If anyone has any suggestions...like when or what I should take photos of...or whether I should make any videos, please let me know. This being my very first time, I want to ensure this journey is covered.

I need a name for this trike. I was thinking "Kind of Blue" (after a song by Miles Davis) when I was planning to paint it baby blue. Now, it's going to be REALLY dark blue. Any suggestions?

I need a name for this trike. I was thinking "Kind of Blue" (after a song by Miles Davis) when I was planning to paint it baby blue. Now, it's going to be REALLY dark blue. Any suggestions?
I seem to remember seeing a can of Duplicolor recently; something like "metallic indigo"-- a really nice dark blue.
This trike is shaping up to look like a dragon... or dragon slayer!

Latest posts

Back