Vintage Claud Butler find

Discussion in 'ROAD & TOURING BIKES' started by Simple., Feb 5, 2017.

1. Simple.

Simple.

I came across this gem at a bike shop. I usually ask if they have any old parts laying around for tinkering on some old cruiser builds, he rolled this thing out.

I know absolutely nothing about these types of bikes. I thought it looked unique, and that's usually how I end up with stuff.

Anyway, it has a fixed gear flip flop hub, brooks leather seat, Allez peddles, bayliss? Wheels. I'm trying to learn about, and most likely pass it on to someone else. If I know something is worth saving I won't touch it, I would de-value it badly. Hah.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Jon

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  2. cman

cman Moderator

RustyGold and Simple. like this.
  3. cman

cman Moderator

That Reynolds Girder stem is usually a rare piece. They were available from the mid-30's -50's.

This website has more info about CB's including catalogs. http://www.nkilgariff.com/

Knowing the year made narrows the field enormously when trying to ID the model. Pre 1957 Claud Butlers can easily be dated to the exact month from the frame number alone.

Most pre-war Holdsworth's have the frame number on the seatlug. Post WW2 it is generally under the BB, but some 1950's models are stamped on the rear dropout, drive or non-drive side.

Unfortunately the number is usually coated with enamel. On some frames, where the paint is thin and the digits well stamped the frame number will be easily read. If the enamel is thick however, it often causes a digit mis-read, especially when digits are badly stamped. On rare occasions. a digit can be completely filled with enamel and rendered invisible.

Fortunately, the same frame number is also stamped on the fork steerer tube, irrespective of year made. The number is much easier to read here, because it is not painted over and protected inside the head-tube, every digit will be clear. Pre 1957 Clauds may also have a builder code stamped with the steerer tube number, this is not stamped on the frame.​

Chad T and Simple. like this.
  4. Simple.

Simple.

Wow this is all great info!!! Thank you very much for taking the time to be so thorough. I will check into it more when I get home tonight to see if I can narrow down the year made and more component info. As of now, I may have to keep this around... Not to be greedy or to extract every cent out of it, but more so as a history lesson and conversation piece. If its a pre-war, I'd love to keep it and pass it down.

It might make its way to my living room wall for awhile.

Thanks again!

Jon

5. cman

cman Moderator

No problem. I like seeing what I can learn in my internet travels and this was a fun one. Keep us updated.

Simple. likes this.
  6. Simple.

Simple.

I think I'm going to sell this bike. Sorry I havn't posted any updates or info lately. Life got in the way and its still sitting. Having a hard time putting a price on it but I'm open to offers or suggestions!

Thanks!

Jon

cman likes this.
  7. cman

cman Moderator

What happened with this?

8. Simple.

Simple.

Well I just recently in the last few days finished cleaning it up, truing wheels, replacing cracked Reynolds quill, replacing the brooks seat, fixing the broken chain ring bolts... (the leather was rotted and gone on the seat)

Don't mind the seat in the pics, I might have some new pictures tomorrow...

Sorry I'm not sure why the other attached images are rotated?

0531171407.jpg 0531171422b.jpg

Attached Files:

RustyGold likes this.
  9. Simple.

Simple.

New seat and more cleaning..

0605172118.jpg

10. cman

cman Moderator

Very cool bike. I am sure it is worthy of someone's collection.

Simple. likes this.
  11. marius.suiram

marius.suiram

What's on the right side of the fork?
    I have two of them from the late 70's
    20170425_163612.jpg 20170506_204828.jpg

12. Simple.

Simple.

I was informed on another forum that it is a headlamp mounting lug. There's some pretty cool examples of lamps and brackets when you do a google search. I am currently trying to find the correct one for my bike!

Jon

RustyGold and marius.suiram like this.