Vintage parts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have some older road bike stuff I'm thinking of offering up for trade but I really don't know a lot about this stuff. What can you guys tell me, is there anything "good" here?
IMG_7365.jpg

IMG_7366.jpg

IMG_7367.jpg

IMG_7368.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

IMG_7370.jpg

IMG_7371.jpg

You may get the model numbers off the parts to acurately date the Dura Ace stuff. I bet it would sell nicely on Ebay.

It does look like it does alright on Ebay. I also have a set of the shifting levers. Do you know of a place to cross reference model numbers to years?

Holy crap when I clicked on this thread I was expecting something cool but NOT DuraAce stuff in-box. $$$$$$$$$ I'm jealous.

Is anyone willing to put some values on this stuff? I have a couple of people who are interested and I would like to come up with a fair price for everyone. I'm not a fan of ebay so its unlikely that it will make it there.

The front freewheeling stuff is probably not too valuable, it was typically used on low end bikes. The DuraAce stuff has more value, but it's an early generation, and not quite as desirable as the later DuraAce components.

Sorry that I can't offer actual estimates, I don't follow "collectible" values at all...

Hmm, I may have underestimated the brakes, they do seem to have decent value. I have a set of these levers on an old Trek and thought I'd replace them with some Tektros, maybe they'll pay for a set of TRPs instead :D

In all honesty, I've looked around for a little bit after reading your post and I can't nail down an exact value for your brakes or levers because I'm not sure what generation they are (definitely very early though). Rough estimate? I would say the brakeset you have (with levers) has to be valued in the hundreds of dollars (note that's a plural, as in at least 200, but probably more!) I do know that Shimano was the first company to go to a dual pivot brake caliper, and before seeing your brakes I didn't know they had ever mono-pivot DA brakes. So you could be sitting on a gold mine man, though again I'm not sure. I agree that the best thing to do to find out more is like one of the other commenters said above and try to find some model numbers printed on either them or the packaging (usually DA has some sort of 7*00 number to designate generations) the newest one (that isn't electronic) is 7900 just for reference.

The front derailleur I would say anywhere from $30-60 depending on how much you like the person buying it/taking into account it's brand new in a box. If you're having a tough time with research I'll tell you this. If it were mine? I'd take it into a trustworthy bike shop (trustworthy being the operative term here) and see what they think. Usually the older guys in there are familiar with this kind of stuff because they probably raced or wrenched on it at some point back in the day. Just my personal opinion though. Good luck. At the very least it's a cool piece of cycling history!

Thanks for all the info!!!
Here is what I think I am coming up with... Dura ace came out in '73 and from 73' - 75' it was just called Dura Ace. In 76' it went to Dura
Ace Something (I forget) and every year since it was Dura Ace with some sort of name following. My stuff appears to be just Dura Ace.
I was able to find a date chart on-line but it starts at 76' and my code lines up with 2005 which it clearly is not. This leads me to belive the letters on my componets that corospond to the date chart are pre 76'.
Finnaly, I was able to find the catalog from 73' on Sheldon Browns site and it looks like we have a match. Check it out.
http://sheldonbrown.com/shimano1973/pages/da7.html
I'm saying it's 1973-75 unless someone can show me that it's not. This date would also put it consistint with the closing date of the shop I bought out (which is where this came from).

I'd say you found a match on those brakes. Very cool, I actually didn't know Dura Ace went back quite that far into the 70s. Learn something new every day lol. And you're welcome glad I could help.

Latest posts

Back