Vintage Schwinn Straight Bar

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have just acquired this vintage Schwinn Straight bar. The serial number suggest that it is a 1950 model after going to a web site for info. I'm not to sure about that ? The bike still has the original paint (gold or copper) and what seems to be the original chainguard. However, the chain guard has blue paint on it with the script reading.."De Luxe". I know that the seat and handlebar are add ons. There seems to some other missing parts on this bike ? Any guess as to which model this really is ? The person who has given it to me said that it was given to them by a lady who got it when she was little. That lady is in her mid to late 70's now. Any ideas ?

im thinking the date is prob correct. the chainguard is not original to the bike. as to the model? could have been many different models. missing fenders, tank? the bars are not org. seat not org. forks look slightly bent. wheels could be org s-2s, hard to tell without close-up. hope this helps.

Feb 03, 1950 date of manufacture. Looking at the catalog, it may have been a D12 if the forks are original and it didn't have truss rods. That was 64 years ago, so it's hard to tell. The original color may show on the inside of the bottom bracket and fork tube. If the cranks are original, there may be a date code in 2 digits on the middle portion. It looks like the forks and frame were originally red, so maybe those are the original forks. looks like a Ross chain guard.

http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1950.html#d-19

Thanks for all your inputs. I've looked up the serial no. twice and it keeps coming back 8/18 1950. Ross chainguard, that makes sense. I've noticed that Schwinn chainguards of this style extend to and just a bit over the rear sprocket. The original paint seems to be gold or tan to me with the brown primer underneath ? It's a either a "Panther" or a "D-19" missing several parts ? Any guess as to the value like it is ?

I see it does have the bracket for truss rods, so it probably is a D-19. And it may have the S-2 wheels as mentioned above. As it is, with the wheels straight and the bike rideable, it may sell for around $75.

Agreed, after looking at the photos (Schwinn ad) again,it isn't a Panther. I was thinking between $60.00 - $80.00 after doing some more research on it.

Thanks.
Richard.

...Just removed the head badge off the front and a Copper color is there. I'm thinking that this is the original color ? With the stripes still visible on the forks,I'm guessing it has original paint all over it ?

I don't think copper or gold was a color offered back then. I'll do some more research. Schwinn did have a color called coppertone from 63-67 though. The badge may have been taken off when they repainted.The fork tube may show the original color, or the inside of the bottom bracket, if you pull the cranks. I'm guessing red. The stripes may show through a thin coat of paint. Just guessing. Here's a pic from the 1950 catalog. I thought it might be a D-13, but that's not a straight bar like the D-19 is.
154iu7q.jpg

Last edited:
....In the process of removing fork and crank. It was originally red and I'm seeing some white around the front. Having some difficulty removing the fork and one very stuck pedal. I have applied Seafoam Deep Creep and letting it work itself in.
Can the kickstand be removed ? It is very loose.

Cut a piece of copper tubing like in the pic, compress the ring and pull the pin. On the end of the kickstand, there is a pin. Your pin is worn out, that's why it's loose. Replace the pin with a piece of mild steel rod and reassemble. Gary

Latest posts

Back