Vintage Trouble

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After the shake down run, I found a couple problems. Both wheels came loose just from riding around the block. And both wheels needed some wobble trued out of them. Even with the 2.5 wide tires there's still plenty of room in the frame and fork. But the rear tire was hitting the chain as it came around! Even after truing, there's not much room between the chain and tire:

IMG_0714 by LowpowerD, on Flickr

I ran down to the hardware store and grabbed some star lock washers. After shake down run two. No problems, the bike rides great.

Here's a close up of the seat post I made. It was made out of a solid piece of 1" hot rolled steel. I turned it down on an engine lathe. The part that sticks out of the bike is 5/8". The part of it in the bike is 13/16". I also bored out the big side with a 9/16" drill for some weight reduction.

IMG_0712 by LowpowerD, on Flickr

37 days start to finish, not bad.
It's done:

IMG_0713 by LowpowerD, on Flickr
More finished pics in the Finished Bikes section.

I like your paint and striping, nothing wrong with tape.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.
I wasn't going to do a bike this year because my wife (Littlebluetrike) and I were going to have a baby. A month into the build off the itch hit me so hard I had to do it. 14 hours after I made the Finished Bike post viewtopic.php?f=78&t=74397, my wife gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. And I'm in love on a whole new level, a level the only fathers can understand.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 4964047217

Even though I made a finished bike post, I'm still tweaking with it. I rode down to the LBS https://www.facebook.com/newtonbicycles ... 6658601425. Forum member and LBS owner RadicalRecumbents gave it a "like".
I'm already working on adding some cool lights and a noize maker (either a rotary bell or tire driven siren).
Once again, Thanks For Watching!

CONGRATS on having the second Build Off Baby so far! Must be something in the water.

Congrats on both the baby & the bike! I see some pink trikes/bikes in your future. :lol:

Latest posts

Back