Vinyl Schwinn (VIDEO UPDATE)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you make the player be powered by the rear wheel?
Yes it would be possible to power the record player by using a hub generator that puts out 6 volts, but currently don't want to mess with the wiring in the record player.

Here is the long waited video. CLICK on the image and it will open up photobucket so you can watch it.
Sorry about the poor filming quality.

Here is a little bit of my progress. I wanted to incorporate a license plate some how with the bike. So I built the bracket that bolts to the lower half of the rear fender.

SOME PICTURES

The other bike in this picture is my cousins build, The Ugly Duck

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-ugly-duck-black-phantom-klunker.91971/

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

Enjoyed the video! Is the player battery powered? I have never seen that model before. And the speakers sounded good, if I remember correctly they are mounted in the crate. If you could rat-tina the blue on the player some to fit in with all the rest of the great patina on the bike that would be awesome! Nice build....really like the pic on the railroad tracks!

Enjoyed the video! Is the player battery powered? I have never seen that model before. And the speakers sounded good, if I remember correctly they are mounted in the crate. If you could rat-tina the blue on the player some to fit in with all the rest of the great patina on the bike that would be awesome! Nice build....really like the pic on the railroad tracks!

Yes the player is battery powered. The model is a Crosley Revolution portable usb turntable. Also yes the speakers are mounted in the crate although they are modified slightly from the way I originally had mounted them.
I would like the rat-tina the blue on the player, I don't know how to rat-tina the rubbery plastic that the player is made out of. Do you know any techniques to do the rat-tina the player?

51iZlaUtvYL.jpg

They have these on amazon for $12
http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Amp-Ti...=1436296182&sr=8-8&keywords=metal+lunch+boxes

or maybe a old tin box at goodwill
iu

could be glued over the plastic phono lid?

Very cool. I love the sound of vinyl. I just picked up this 1958 RCA Victor Stereo-Orthophonic High Fidelity with a satellite speaker that I need to restore the wood on the bottom, other than that it's in great shape. Whats crazy, that big box that holds the satellite speaker, it only has one 6x9 in it. I might upgrade it.

I would use acrylics, like you'd use on canvas. Probably the safest for the material you have.
Thanks for the input, I'll go buy some paint and give the player a nice rat-tina tomorrow.
51iZlaUtvYL.jpg

They have these on amazon for $12

I like the idea, maybe instead of glueing it to the lid, I could use the sides of the lunchbox with the art on them and cut them out the shape of the side of the phono and glue them on

Very cool. I love the sound of vinyl. I just picked up this 1958 RCA Victor Stereo-Orthophonic High Fidelity with a satellite speaker that I need to restore the wood on the bottom, other than that it's in great shape. Whats crazy, that big box that holds the satellite speaker, it only has one 6x9 in it. I might upgrade it.
Cool Record player, I have a RCA victor from the 20's, I don't have any pics thou.
If the satellite speaker still sounds go I wouldn't modernize it, but if the sound quality is poor upgrade it. Nice Set!!

Just make sure to take your time, I would test it out on the bottom first to make sure you like it.

My
Yes the player is battery powered. The model is a Crosley Revolution portable usb turntable. Also yes the speakers are mounted in the crate although they are modified slightly from the way I originally had mounted them.
I would like the rat-tina the blue on the player, I don't know how to rat-tina the rubbery plastic that the player is made out of. Do you know any techniques to do the rat-tina the player?
Here is my suggestion on the rat-tification of the turntable housing. I use spray paint from a rattle can, almost exclusively. You can stand back about 4-5 ft, control the amount of spray with long sweeping strokes (outdoors where it doesn't matter what the overspray lands on) it dries extremely fast, and does a great job of layering colors for the patina / rust effect. Here are a couple shots of my process used on the cooler and bottle cap for Beer Boy Delivery build, and on the rims of the BBD. The last pic is of the colors I used, all Rustoleum paints, all satin finish (or matte works too, just don't want it shiny) they won't harm plastic and best of all, are relatively cheap to buy. I started with the satin off-white for a base coat. Your blue casing will be hard to cover if you don't completely lay down a light colored base coat first. Then I followed with the satin "summer squash" (not as yellow as the cap is, more pale yellow) with a pretty good coverage. Then the satin "cinnamon" to add a dash of rust red color. (less of this than the summer squash) Then the final application was the textured paint multi-color to add, well, texture and a more real rust look. I used the lighter of the two textured paints on the cooler and cap, and the darker brown mix on the rims. Good luck! Glad you are willing to give it a shot, and yes, start with the bottom of the player till you get the effect you want....

Latest posts

Back