VW Bus Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with a Cranbrook. Build inspiration is a VW Bus. Bike will have a front rack with dual headlights. Rear will have folding racks with VW hubcaps and a 3 speed nexus hub. I had to do some repainting but now the Color(s) is done, clear next. my original rear rack choice doesn’t fit...any good rear racks for the Cranbrook?
F3B40EA0-6900-4719-902A-3D7AF2A36807.jpeg
472E84C5-D8FE-4B0A-8F52-6F456B199DF5.jpeg
C0D5ABC6-BA61-4C91-9A8E-F2919C3E5E22.jpeg
8E34590A-0D03-48A4-B4F4-5D1368AFC43B.jpeg
20F16510-C881-404A-AF3A-08B5BFD8FA0F.jpeg

Cool idea!
Assuming that your inspiration is the 'first' T1 van:
Wil the front of the rack get that characteristic "V" shape of the bus?

Just a thought: Maybe you can cut that shape from wood and screw/glue it under the wooden board (last picture, board completely to the right). Use a "keychain hanger" for a logo.

Yup, that’s exactly the plan for the front. The V section up, with the lights on either side. I had a piece of steel but it wasn’t large enough to get the windshield and roof arc. I am now thinking aluminum and likely using chrome car door trim for along the V. I may also paint the headlight buckets and leave the rings and visors chrome.

Rear rack is the next to figure out...once that’s on there I can attach the folding racks and hubcaps. I considered hubcaps for the front...maybe someday.

This one has taken much longer than expected but should be rideable this weekend. Front rack is on…big flop issues so I’m looking into a SteerStopper to lock the forks straight when parking. Ordered a VW bus cutout from Etsy that I’ll adapt for the front. Original back rack would not fit so I have a black Schwinn 4 hole style one on the way.

Great job on the paint, I especially like the black fender struts, makes them ‘disappear’.
Some fatter tires would be nice on there

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193883223119

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I was considering adding a white strip on all the struts to match the whitewalls & further that illusion. I dig those tires!

The rear rack, front rack and the buss front end ”windscreen“ and “v” sections will all be black in order to evoke the upper body line of a bus. Should have those final parts on and have the bike all wrapped up in a couple weeks...emphasis on should. No build off bike ‘till this one is done.

Thanks! You are correct, I used 6 colors of translucent rattle can “metalcast” paint over a silver base. I did test paint on a table and found out how much space I could fit the full spectrum & started the spiral with purple at the crank at the chainguard. Then I filled it in. I tried to do the golden mean spiral. Once the center was done I spread out. Ironically I had to respray the entire center frame section over completely & blend it in because the chainguard slipped down over the lower stay. A screw dropped off without me knowing it just before I started spraying color.
B5E3E7AE-E033-4674-864B-C2090DF1869E.jpeg

WV front from etsy…cut off the lower half and added the chrome door strips. Think it needs something in the windows. Yes, the rack is out of whack. Saving all the final adjustments for when the big knobby whitewall tires get in.
A175572C-57EC-457A-A745-886C1512859E.jpeg

Basket…was not my idea. I was thinking of a basket that you place in the front rack & take with you. After trying out the bike with a load I’m wondering if a steering compensator is warranted. Thoughts? I was already going to get a steer stopper to lock it when parked.
8A4E2182-AC49-4A5D-9AD8-05124EA0FCC3.jpeg

VW hubcaps attached with a couple zip ties and Velcro.
21BAB86C-CFE4-4190-AA6C-5D82ECA70B3D.jpeg

Bigger tires and install the taillight and it will be done!
8FD7C20B-AA25-4B32-BD52-BB1A21FF0656.jpeg

2F76B53F-1152-44F5-A7C6-894B67BA11E8.jpeg

WV front from etsy…cut off the lower half and added the chrome door strips. Think it needs something in the windows. Yes, the rack is out of whack. Saving all the final adjustments for when the big knobby whitewall tires get in.
View attachment 165030
Basket…was not my idea. I was thinking of a basket that you place in the front rack & take with you. After trying out the bike with a load I’m wondering if a steering compensator is warranted. Thoughts? I was already going to get a steer stopper to lock it when parked.
View attachment 165031
VW hubcaps attached with a couple zip ties and Velcro.
View attachment 165033
Bigger tires and install the taillight and it will be done!
View attachment 165032

View attachment 165034
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!:heart::inlove::heart::inlove::heart::heart::heart:

(every dog within a ten-mile radius begins to bark) :20:

Latest posts

Back