BO15 WAHA-SEDB-3 (TRIKE-TOR...2nd Place)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build will be an attempt to combine a ‘55 Hawthorne frame platform with a David Bradley hood.
464ea082b48e52dfee6ddb7817532fe7.jpg

769d70f3bab4d33c9ea61094e6f2538d.jpg

5f242fc2c680ae16c6718f3248ee0baf.jpg

0ea1c0ec5f1c9d50d38a3a65ba48c7c5.jpg

b73d9c044654a21628ea5fc0f8478dc2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A few thoughts in the wee hours from virus worry induced insomnia.
b27a7fd7ddd655d80eef41cab716db9b.jpg

0198163e5cade438103161bd264fdb82.jpg

a9adb1106a871c35d26af398aed31cc8.jpg

Hands on trial and error down the road...experimentalist at best. This concept has been floating around in my mind for a couple of years now. The red hood was sourced a couple of years ago. The rusty one last Fall, if I end up cutting one up I have a backup for error management. I’m tired of moving the hoods around so it’s time they are repurposed.

a02bb621f25d314aa8ead792df159c22.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Love the Bradley sheet metal!

The double front wheel steering instantly set my brain into engineering mode. Should pose some real challenges. It will be interesting watching the 'trial and error ' as it unfolds!

Last edited:
I can share from a friend's experience that a straight axel thru the fork will not work very well. Fine in a straight line but no good on turns. You may need a subassembly and a linkage to turn each wheel separately. That might steer you into class two, unless you can keep that fork stock...

GC.

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk

That might steer you into class two, unless you can keep that fork stock...
I see what you did there. :21:

The drawings show that there are plans for a center pivot on the axel. That's a start, but I'm thinking that the head tube angle is where the problems lie.

This is gonna be a seriously fun build to follow!!!!

Dig it MF! Your pictures are worth a thousand words!
RaT oN~!
Thanks, notice the clutter, always heard that a messy desk is a measure of ones mental quotient.
Wow......can't wait
Yah always like starting these things but I tend to be impatient.
Love the Bradley sheet metal!

The double front wheel steering instantly set my brain into engineering mode. Should pose some real challenges. It will be interesting watching the 'trial and error ' as it unfolds!

Yes I saw the first one in an antique shop and thought I have to have it. I watched the price for over a year. They finally suckered me in with a reduction sale price. Trial and error it is. What looks good on paper doesn’t always transfer to reality.

I can share from a friend's experience that a straight axel thru the fork will not work very well. Fine in a straight line but no good on turns. You may need a subassembly and a linkage to turn each wheel separately. That might steer you into class two, unless you can keep that fork stock...

GC.

Sent from across the universe using Tapatalk
Understood, thus the pivot point. Also looking at some go cart steering knuckles. Guess I could change the name to “StraightLiner”. Nothing in the rules says it has to turn. It would be rideable but RatRod says no “Show Bikes”. The goal is make the front end bolt on to the fork.
I see what you did there. :21:

The drawings show that there are plans for a center pivot on the axel. That's a start, but I'm thinking that the head tube angle is where the problems lie.
I’m anxious to see what the geometry allows to happen in terms of executing a turn. As mentioned above I’m looking at some steering knuckles as well.
Man, if I had TWO of those hoods, I'd be shooting for twin trike fairings...maybe the kind that steer with the wheels.
I’ve thought about the trike concept, it would be easier. I’ve always to late on picking up a used trike or they’ve been too far away.
^That would be cool on a traditional trike!
Agreed.
You've been doing some serious planning! How about a 40's-style Indian motorcycle (full cover) fender for that back wheel? That would flow nicely.View attachment 118141
Yep two hoods in play here, could happen.
This is gonna be a seriously fun build to follow!!!!
May be fun to watch, maybe not so much in the execution. We’ll see a lot of time.
This should be interesting.
I've tried to use a bolt on trike rear mounted to a fork, it didn't work well in turns as @GuitarlCarl said of his friends build.
But I'll be watching to see what you come up with.
Trial and error ahead, maybe a couple of twists along the way. Might get started on some visual mockups on Saturday. Thanks!

Thanks all for the input, that’s what makes the projects interesting. Sometimes I use or adapt suggestions, sometimes I completely ignore them. Keep em coming.

Another piece of the puzzle
17d0be35a02489534b39b52d57b223ec.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that’s pretty close to one possibility. Thanks.
You must have went back into Fresh Finds for the original bike picture...follower dedication. Laidback from Wayback,Thanks again.

Not my rendering but @horsefarmer is on track with his. Thanks.

Sent using Tapatalk
Thanks, I did use your previous build pic. What surprised me was all the photos of David Bradley hoods online!

Been waiting for this hood to get built for a while, those classic tractors are an underappreciated area in the gearhead world. As an Ontario boy, gotta share the local brand. I give you a splendid example of Cockshutt, manufactured in Brantford ont
8b41426db0c19178fe20a4668422f258.jpg

Latest posts

Back