(WBO 2015) Girlfriends OBX Bike (COMPLETED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I removed the tank light and have that working now. Thankfully there were no batteries left in it but the wiring will need redoing. I am getting rid of the rocker switch and putting a toggle switch in place of it. I removed the fenders, old dry rotted tires and tubes. I put a new headset on it, removed and cleaned the front axle and bearings repacked them, replaced the 18 tooth cog with a 16 and mounted some new rubber on the rims. I took it out for a spin. I had already decided to replace the rims as they do not roll true and stopping is not to responsive unless you kick back hard. The rear tire I have may not work with the fenders. It is a 26X2.125 replacing a 26X1.75. I have a 26X2.0 on the front I may have to match that one for them to work. The pedals are a little bit out of whack, too. For the sake of my shorter girlfriend I will probably have to put the 18 tooth cog back on or go to a 20. I have ordered a set back seat post from slowriderz of Slowriders Chop Shop.
1221141631.jpg
1221141630.jpg

1231142043.jpg

0101151455e.jpg

Wet and cold outside today. I did some paint stripping. The old paint on this frame just slides off! I thought it neat that I could still see where the pinstripes were even down to the bare metal.
0103151526.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered a set of decals for the tank and was disappointed that they were shorter in length by 2-1/2 inches and one side was about 1/4" short. Wasted money.:headbang:

Getting parts cleaned, degreased and derusted. I know I just said the "D" word... Twice! Girlfriend doesn't want any on her bike. Amazingly the rust on the parts I am reusing are cleaning up rather well. New parts are trickling in slowly. Hope to have all of the paint stripped within the next couple of weeks. She wants the frame and tank painted Sapphire Metal flake blue and silver. I gotta come up with a paint scheme for it. I will have to do some cutting on the fenders I got her. They are 1/2 inch wider than the originals. I'll take care of that during mock up.

I've just been cleaning parts and stripping paint. Slow part of the build for me. Too many distractions like work.
I got my 75* seat post from Slow Riders Chop Shop (aka. slowriderz). He did an awesome job on it. If you were to get hit by a truck going 75mph the seat post is the only part of the bike without any damage. Yep, very stout part.
0111150011.jpg

Last edited:
The girlfriend just came out to the garage, asked what time it was, then asked, "Why are you still up?" All I did was point to the pile of parts. Guess I'm going to bed. More things to hinder my building time. :mad:

Last edited:
i have same bike in womens....same deal with the brakes on that one.....let me know f ya need anythng from it.....parting it out
I'll probably have a few parts left over from this one, too. I have some good parts from it. I've sold the seat and seat post. The handle bars and fenders are a bit beat up and rusty. Those are going in the bone yard. The headset and bottom bracket set I have cleaned up and placed in baggies. They are still very useable parts. Tires and front rim are trash. Rear wheel can be rebuilt so long as nothing major is wrong with the hub. Needs to be re spoked. I've never seen in innards of a "Komet Super" hub before. That will be something I dig into when I'm waiting for paint to dry.

Last edited:
I've got a couple of Fitchel & Sachs Komet Super hubs - they are simple to take apart and clean and lube. They both now work great after maintanance. Here is a on line manual...
sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/CB-IGH-2-sachs.pdf

I've got a couple of Fitchel & Sachs Komet Super hubs - they are simple to take apart and clean and lube. They both now work great after maintanance. Here is a on line manual...
sheldonbrown.com/sutherland/CB-IGH-2-sachs.pdf
HEY! Thanks! That's going into the archives. I suppose if I can rebuild a TF-727 I can fix a hub on a bike. Thanks again for the info.

I am not to thrilled about the forks from this bike. I was test fitting the front rim/tire combo and noticed it would not center. Yep, right side is 14-13/16" and the left is 14-5/8", 3/16" difference.
0115152137.jpg

0115152152.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back