(WBO) Bhuzzard

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's funny, you look at the Whizzers od the 50's that people tossed together and you never see a rear fender done that way. That's a much better alternative than hacking it off like most (including Schwinn) always did. TRM should have been sitting at the table when a lot of bicycle related decisions were made back in the day.

I've been skipping around again. The saddle that came with the bike was in in pretty sad shape. I've got other ones that I could use, but I've wanted to use this one because it came with the bike and I want to cover it and the grips with matching leather.

I didn't think to take a close 'before' picture, but you can see it in this photo:

100_8554_zps36196621.jpg

That pic was taken after I ripped what was left of the vinyl away and scrubbed it with a wire brush. I took it completely apart and soaked it for two days in vinegar earlier this week and it came out with almost all of the rust gone! After that I gave it a quick pass through the bead blaster and primed the raw metal. The bottom edge looked like a saw blade from the rust so I used some metal patch epoxy and followed with some Bondo to smooth it up for the leather to wrap over.

Here are some pictures showing the raw metal straight from the vinegar and rinsed with water. Also there is one after the repairs at this point. Only the pans are getting painted because they will be covered. The frame and springs will stay like they are.

Seat%20pans_zpsanzbqzie.jpg

Not a lot of progress this weekend due to working on my truck most of the day yesterday. :(However, I did slip in a few minor things that needed to be done like scraping loose chrome from the rusty handle bar and working a little on the grips and brake/clutch levers.

The one thing that I did today was practice a new technique that I came up with for faux painting patina. I've been giving a good bit of thought to how I can paint the tank to blend with the vintage paint on the rest of the bike. Ironically I used the under side of the seat pan which was stripped of all rust and painted black to test on (see the above picture in post 246).o_O

This is just a basic test using some paint that I had on hand. When I do the tank I hope to get a more accurate match with the frame.

100_9024_zpsemak2dr1.jpg

Crusty and rusty is nearly mandatory when ratting. I think the seat pan would look great uncovered with a touch of black and rust. Will you "age" the leather if you cover it? Looks good RM! skpc

I haven't thrown in the towel yet, but the bike work has stalled lately due to working on vehicles and other 'real life' distractions. I just finished working today on replacing the rotors and brakes on my wife's Buick wagon. Next I have to take the starter out of my truck for the third time in one week.:mad: I also have had three band gigs this week not counting playing at church last Sunday and also tomorrow morning.

Most of the things left at this point however is just eye candy and final assembly so I'm trying to stay optimistic. I did get part of one thing done yesterday that I'm planning for a surprise!

I haven't thrown in the towel yet, but the bike work has stalled lately due to working on vehicles and other 'real life' distractions. I just finished working today on replacing the rotors and brakes on my wife's Buick wagon. Next I have to take the starter out of my truck for the third time in one week.:mad: I also have had three band gigs this week not counting playing at church last Sunday and also tomorrow morning.

Most of the things left at this point however is just eye candy and final assembly so I'm trying to stay optimistic. I did get part of one thing done yesterday that I'm planning for a surprise!
I sure hope you get it finished. I'm facing the same dilemma getting my CAT Bike finished. Work has been kicking my butt the past 2 weeks. Next week isn't looking to good either.

I sure hope you get it finished. I'm facing the same dilemma getting my CAT Bike finished. Work has been kicking my butt the past 2 weeks. Next week isn't looking to good either.
Hopefully we'll all make it in time!
Gotta love playin' in church....

Carl.
Yep.
Will it make it to Cleveland?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm hoping so. Although it may not be running yet.
Off to Mars this time?

Luke.
:21: Not enough time left to make the trip this time. It's not some out of this world surprise. It's actually a small doodad that I hadn't planned on but decided to add this week, so I guess it's a more of a surprise to me.

I finished the little surprise yesterday.
A couple of weeks ago @Walker surprised me by giving me this unique little reflector...
Thorn%200308%20123_zpsmkn277of.jpg

It's made in the shape of some sort of phoenix but after looking at it closer it became obvious to me that it is a Bhuzzard.;) I knew right away that I would have to find a place for it on the bike!

I worked out a graphic to tie it into the chain guard and tried to make it look as if it had been there all along. After silk screening the graphic, I used hydrochloric acid to etch away the galvanized coating from the metal while preserving the image under the ink. Unfortunately I got too aggressive with the acid and it removed more than I had planned for. I did want it to look aged and worn, but it's harder to see at certain angles than I would have prefered. No time left for a do over, so it is what it is.

emblem_zps0b2fv67l.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back