(WBO) Iday's Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The forks threads were shot, so getting it off was a chore. I had to use the vise and work for a half hour to get it off. So, it will need new forks. I'm able to get them cheap so I'm contemplating going with 26" instead of 24" and possibly 700C if they have them. Then I'll have a wide variety of good rims and tires to choose from. I'll use dropout extensions to space the rear wheel so I can use the center pull brakes. Or maybe stay with 24" I can't decide.
fcpldi.jpg

ftoh9u.jpg

I did some research, 700C is only a half inch difference at the brake pads, so that's what I'll go with, 26" forks and dropout extensions. Probably 35mm tires, almost the same width as 1 3/8ths

I took some estimates on the clearances, I think the pedals will be too close to a 700c tire. So, I'm back to thinking of keeping it 24".

Paint stripped.
2ufcysk.jpg

Accidental paint job? The guy who was painting my sidecar decided to paint everything he saw. The frame wasn't quite bare or smooth enough, but got a hand painted coat of blue. So now do I use it as is or redo it? It's the right color.
8wh7o4.jpg

Nope it won't get it. Looks like heck and the paint won't dry because of the paint stripper that was still on it, and I wanted to have the lugs a different color to show them off. Plenty of time in the build off to get it right.

2z99k3n.jpg

Wow, you have had some adventures with this build! Cant imagine 220V across a drill! are 220V outlets common where you live?:eek:
And "Free" paint job over stripper! Yikes.
Frame does look nice after paint is off. Hope you build goes smoothly now.

The outlets look just like the ones there in the states, only one plug is 220 and the other is 110. That's how my house is wired except for the outdoor outlets, they are all 220. I'm checking to see if the brushes can be changed out, or if it's junk.
As for the frame, I may try a rasp wheel on my other drill and see how that takes the paint off. It's fresh so I think it'll come off easily.

Not much accomplished this month. I'll be having the wheels and tires made up next week, 24 x 1 3/8 with knobbies if I can get them. Otherwise the most aggressive tread I can get in that size. I tries this new stem with a pair of old BMX stlye handlebars. I'm going for a downsized klunker type bike, one that will be able to handle the roads here with skinny tires. I still have the job of stripping and painting that I have been putting off.

fkr9co.jpg

The wheels are being built now, hopefully next week I'll pick them up.
I just stopped by the bike shop and spent 500 pesos (11 dollars) on these new parts, a 44 tooth cottered crank set, pedals, and grips. I don't know if the grips are knockoffs, but they look and feel like the real thing. At the hardware store I found some metallic blue paint but no rasp to remove paint, so I'll be using brass brushes to strip the frame. Now just to get motivated to strip the frame. It's summertime here already, heat index is above 90 at 9:30 in the morning.

24m8isp.jpg

Gee not bad for 11 bucks...
How about just sanding the lugs and leave the rest... Or is it 'Good from afar,but far from good'

Gee not bad for 11 bucks...
How about just sanding the lugs and leave the rest... Or is it 'Good from afar,but far from good'

Far from good, with the stripper under there, it's like a thin coat of oatmeal.

After hours and hours of wire brushing, it's painted. The last drill I have is nearly dead. It came out a silvery blue instead of medium, but it will do. I just received word that my wheels and tires are ready! Still need a new set of forks.

9pw8zl.jpg

What color, silver or gold for the lugs? Or just highlight the outlines with a paint pen? Or just leave them alone?

I still haven't found any info on the Ventura brand name.

2m367mp.jpg

Latest posts

Back